A remote Power Supply for the SB-220

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Apr 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good deal Looks like things are coming along. :)

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YOU made a cold solder joint? The "best technician in the world?":)

Get the lead in....the old saying is "get the lead out," but good solder joints are so much easier when lead is involved.:p

K9ASE, N2EY and AF6LJ like this.
  3. AF6LJ

They certainly are I really don't care for the lead free solder. :)

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found it to be no big deal. It just has a slightly higher melting point. My employer at the time issued an edict that we SHALL become RoHS compliant. They brought in a trainer dude to show us how to use it but, by then, I'd already used it A LOT. We used SAC305 alloy (datasheet) with their No-Clean flux. :)

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

David K5DBX found that a shroud completely surrounding the fan blade decreases noise and increases airflow. Otherwise, it should be mounted so it is inline with the rear PA compartment panel. Be sure to include the blank panel on top that encloses the area outside of the PA compartment. The latter is in the SB-220 manual. :)

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. AF6LJ

I am sure I would get use to it, but I would rather not. :)

7. WA7PRC

The only difference I noted was the appearance. Solder joints appeared dull.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I notice that, too.

At "work" we have no choice but to be RoHS compliant for many years now. But at home, I do whatever I want and still have rolls of 60/40 and 63/37 Kester rosin-core wire solder and intend to use them until I die from lead poisoning.:p

AF6LJ and K9ASE like this.
  9. AF6LJ

If I had no choice I would buy a new iron / tips and use it, but for now I have a choice. :)

10. WA7PRC

Yes. The RoHS directive relates to non durable goods for the general public. Durable goods (something that isn't likely to wind-up in a landfill) is exempt. Though they manufactured Lasers, my former company complied anyway.

I like Kester's #245 No-Clean flux that my former company uses. It works for 99% of the soldering and doesn't leave a corrosive or conductive mess. I keep flux pens (#245 and #44) on-hand for the occasion I need more than is in the wire solder. So far, in soldering several million components, I've rarely needed extra flux. :)
    No change needed here.

AF6LJ likes this.