ad: Amateur-1

A question on 11 meter mobile

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WD5HHH, Feb 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. WD5HHH

WD5HHH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know, what a place to ask this question. My son doesn't have an interest in ham radio but is a total Jeep and off-road nut. To use some areas and also to go out with his Jeep Club, he needs a radio to communicate and for him it is a CB radio. He has been having problems with both listening and talking. He even got a low power SWR/Power meter to check things with. We ran through it and sometimes we got a reasonable SWR and sometimes it was very high (no markings past 3/1). When we run the power into my good ol' Heathkit Cantenna we get a near 1/1 consistently. It is a adjustable "Hamstick" type of helically wound antenna on a small spring mount. I just don't know where to start looking as all my ham equipment to date has worked just fine. Please don't give me grief about CB/11 Meters.

Bill, WD5HHH

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Toss the spring!

W2PX and KA9JLM like this.
  3. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

fiberglass whips are adjusted by removing the rubber cap on the top and spreading or trimming the wire for best swr

4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to a possibly intermittent connection at the spring, how is the antenna mounted? Does it have a good solid electrical bond to the Jeep's body and chassis?

5. KA5IVR

KA5IVR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill,

What kind of CB is he using? Folks in my Jeep club always have problems with the Cobra's. They just seem not to have the front end for up close communications.

I found the best setup for Off Road is a Uniden 520xl with a Wilson 3' Flex antenna on my Jeep. I've tried the 4' on my Jeep mounted in the same spot, but never was able to get it to tune. You will not need a spring with the Wilson Flex.

6. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill, I think it's most likely a bad coax connection.

I was into off roading for over 10 years, jeep. I had a 2m, a CB and FRS, by far the most useful radio was the CB simply because it is what most people used.

7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the antenna is clamped to the spare tire carrier, it can have intermittent issues.

Ed

8. WD5HHH

WD5HHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all, so far. Alan, the spring was suspect in my mind and may be part of the problem. KA5IVR, I do think he has a Cobra; he had another radio but he had problems with the way it was mounted (too big for the available space). AD5KO, the coax was replaced so I don't know. Ed, it is mounted on the back gate and I think it is on the gate side of a hinge; I did suggest to make up a ground with coax shield and crimp eye connectors to ground the antenna mount directly to the body/frame. I will get with my son regarding some of the ideas here.

Bill, WD5HHH

KB4QAA likes this.
  9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KR4IS

KR4IS Ham Member QRZ Page

At the grnd side of feed point connect a resonant wire,,ie counterpoise..now ant will be balanced...run wire with no sharp bends...the more the better on my truck I've basically a grnd plane ,it tunes and transmits much better than no wire at all.