A question of Grounding....

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI7HSB, Feb 17, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am assembling my new Single Point Ground Panel and have come across a concern regarding tying the radio grounds into the house grounds.

All of the book examples and suggestions that I can find, and all of my friends' rigs, make it look so easy because the two systems are always conveniently right next to each other... Meanwhile, here at MY house, the two are a good 65 feet apart and across a 2 car driveway. No, I can't change the situation.

So, what's the best way to run a line between my house ground pin and the radio ground pins over that sort of distance and obsticles?

2. K2AR

K2AR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My ground installation has the house ground and the single point ground panel at opposite ends of the house. I was fortunate that I have a 1/2 inch gap between the garage entrance and the asphalt where I ran insulated wire so that there was no direct contact with the building while still provide continuity with the rest of the perimeter ground. Ideally you should have a full perimeter ground but if that is not possible, 3/4 or even 1/2 way around is better than no perimeter ground. Make sure you add ground rods in between the house ground rod and the single point ground panel ground rod. I have pictures on my QRZ page that shows how I did mine.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing you do will make a "single point ground" if EVERY wire entering and leaving your house are not at...

Wait for it...

A SINGLE POINT.

Rege

K3RW and W6KCS like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My radios are diagonally opposite the panel for about a 60' run. Fortunately Im in the basement with an unfinished ceiling so tie the radio ground to the various 3/4 and 1" copper pipes for domestic water and baseboard FHW heating with #6 bare copper.

At the panel end the same pipes plus a few more are bonded together with more #6 to the panel ground buss.

Probably NEC would have a fit since there is also a pair of ground rods outside the basement window where all the cables come in thru a pair of 4" PVC pipes in the foundation that was installed when I had this addition built in 1989. All the hardline and RG type coax for 4 towers, verticals, dipoles and Beverages is bonded outside to those rods. The 5 two wire reversible Beverages have 2 more rods each at the 5 feed points plus 2 more at the relay controller box; those are for the Beverage transformers and the the ferrite common mode chokes ~25' away plus at the hardline controller and its 750' CATV 1/2" hardline run to the house. Another 1/2" CATV hardline run takes care of the 3 BOG's and their rods and relay box.

Beverage boxes at the antennas are regularly destroyed by lightning but never any damage to the relay controller or anything in the house. The multiple rods bleed it all off and maybe cook some worms.
    Over 31 years several modem cards and FAXes have been destroyed (I no long use any) from lightning hits on the utility line across the street.
    No damage ever to radio gear or any other electronics which is what counts as far as Im concerned.

Carl

5. KI7HSB

Wish I was so lucky... My concrete garage floor and driveway are a perfect fit, so it's up and over the garage door if I'm going to close that portion of the loop. It''s that overhead loop that concerns me about being proper. The alternative is to go the longer way around the back of the house... That's closer to 100 feet, but you're not the first person to suggest that a full perimeter loop would be a good idea, so maybe I should consider that. How often does one need to plant a rod along the way?

Your setup look very similar to my planned setup for after I retire in 3 years and leave the big city to reside on my property in rural SW Idaho. I have an LM-354 ready to plant and like yours, I will top it with a beam yagi the size of a Cessna.

6. KI7HSB

BTW, I didn't think it was cool to drive those rods fully below ground level and bury the wire and connectors... I would have thought the tops needed to be just above ground to ward off corrosion... ??? The rod for my electric service panel is installed with the clamp just above the dirt.

7. KI7HSB

Well, not LITERALLY, no... ;)

8. WA0CBW

WA0CBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Underground connections need to be cad welded. Above ground connections can be mechanical.
    Bill

W1PEP and KI7HSB like this.
  9. K2AR

K2AR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I was in the same situation, I would go the long way around and put in at least four ground rods in between. Overhead loop is a no-no and everything should be buried. In my case my perimeter ground averages 18 inches below grade.

KI7HSB likes this.
  10. KI7HSB

18" ?!?!? I'm gonna need to rent a ditch witch...