A question about the national calling frequency on 2-meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, May 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a friend in the shack the other day when they was a pass on one of the satellites he was interested in how it all went and wouldn't you know it the entire pass was taken up by two clowns having a rag chew. Likely the same pea brains that play with their cell phones in the movies while the show is on.

WU8Y and K3RW like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have MUCH stronger names for such individuals than "clowns," or "pea-brains" they are not allowed on QRZ.

K3RW and K3XR like this.
  3. K6FRC

K6FRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I monitor and USE 146.520 regularly from my QTH high atop a ridge with line of sight coverage to much of Northern California and bay area and parts of Nevada.

Many years ago I read an article written by a ham who monitored 146.520 mobile while driving cross country and never heard a peep on it and his CQ's went unanswered. It was his opinion that 146.520 should be used so that there is a good place for hams to find another quickly in an emergency or other need. I agree.

Therefore, when I got back on the radio after being QRT from voice modes for many years, I started monitoring 146.520. I heard some other hams call CQ and make other calls on 146.520 and nobody else came back to them, so I began to respond. One thing leads to another, and 146.520 has become the home channel in my foothill area.

We make it a point to leave plenty of room between transmissions for others to break in, and they do (just ask W6KCS) frequently. Many of us have built superb VHF stations with simplex operation in mind. I now run a set of phased 17 element beams on a 55 ft crank-up tower for dependable long distance FM QSOs and minimizing interference to others.

Sometimes, I like to run vintage 2m gear that is crystal controlled and does not have PL encode or decode. Also, I only have crystals for 146.520 available, so cannot QSY when contact is made. Since 146.520 is alive and well in the California foothills now, we do occasionally get chastised for QSOing on it by OMs who complain that they want to monitor 146.520 and not hear anyone talking. That is ridiculous.

K5EFJ and W6KCS like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

"when your squelch don't break, that will be me not calling" ;)

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

What happens during VHF contests where 146.520 is a contest frequency? Maybe there is not that much contest activity in your area.
    "Use of 146.52 MHz FM Simplex Frequency Cleared for ARRL Contests"
    http://www.arrl.org/news/use-of-146-52-mhz-fm-simplex-frequency-cleared-for-arrl-contests

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL allowing contest operation on 146.520 MHz was, in my opinion, a classic blunder! However, I really should have expected such from that organization.

I am of the opinion that operating (i.e. ragchewing) on the FM, and even the SSB, "calling frequencies" is fine. However, one should allow time, between transmissions, for others to break into the QSO. Having activity on these "calling frequencies" definitely allows for others to know that the band is open.

Way too many openings happen on 10-meters and 6-meters because no one is transmitting and, without transmissions, there is nothing to receive. I have been operating on 6-meters for over 59-years and I have seen band openings at all times of the day, and night, during all seasons, and regardless of the sunspot numbers. It is the same with 10-meters. That is, there are band openings happening with no regard to the time, season, or sunspots.

There used to be an amateur radio operator in the Dallas, Texas, area, that, when someone called CQ on any of the VHF "calling frequencies", would come on and "cuss out" the operator calling CQ because the complaining operator was listening for a band opening. He would never recognize that there were other operators doing exactly the same thing and, without someone calling CQ, there were no signals to be received. Whenever he did this to me, I politely told him "where to go" and went on calling CQ! He would crawl back into his hole waiting for someone else to call CQ. Sometimes, especially with newer operators, the other station would cease operating and let this operator continue listening for out of the area stations.

Glen, K9STH

K3XR likes this.
  7. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

520, 550, 580, and 610. Those are the generally used simplex channels. Find on that is open and use it after establishing contact on .520. Or if 520 is busy, try going directly to one of the other channels.

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no -set- calling freq on any band. There are commonly used calling frequencies. ".520" is probably the most common on 2 meters.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually enjoy listening during contests, and giving them contacts if I'm not busy. It's fun to hear all the young people out there sitting on hilltops doing something besides looking at their iphones, driving too fast on my street, or trespassing on my lawn. What I really like is hearing the SOTA guys hiking up to hilltops and trying to make contacts. It's exactly the kind of fun I was having as a teenager with my Drake TR-22C 2m portable. Hi Paul!