A proposal for revitalizing the 1.25m band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0AQX, May 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On 33 cm and above, you can transmit just about anything you want. On 70 cm, the baud rate / bandwidth rule is certainly contradictory. You can only transmit data at less than or equal to 56 kilobauds and 100 kHz bandwidth, but you can have analog video that's 6 MHz wide.

For digital television, we're right in the grey area. Is it data or video? The general consensus is that digital television is okay on 70 cm since it's video. But does that mean that I can send a 6 MHz wide signal that's 95% data and 5% video and still be legal?

2. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen, K9STH[/QUOTE]
    Well at least we agree we need something. I was suggesting the difference license class so that the people who take it are tested on digital theory. And I guess I didn't explain that I was suggesting this license class be exempt from certain outdated rules that would hamper their experimentation. Everyone else would carry on as usual.

Right now you have to file for a STA if you want to try and do something special. Most people don't want to deal with that. Most hams don't want radical rule changes. So I say lets see how many are serious about developing things by simply letting them take a test that gives them some flexibility to try things.

As for digital only in the GHz, we have that basically since those bands are mostly under used by the vast majority. And line of site is not practical for most. So that's no real lure. You almost need to give the digital folks a chunk on various bands.

3. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    KD4MOJ likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for one thing, FCC rules only allow Licensed Amateurs to talk to other licensed Amateurs, not civilians or other stations, except in times of dire emergency or the yearly Armed Forces Test, usually for a specified period of time, usually in May. And the portion of the band (220-222 MHz) originally purloined by UPS turned out to be a bust, and is woefully underutilized by any commercial land mobile service.

5. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well maybe before, but the railroads are using it for implementing Positive Train Control. Communications between the locomotives and the fixed plant is being done on 1.25 meter.

http://www.apta.com/mc/its/previous...-Control-in-the-220-MHz-Band-Karl-Witbeck.pdf

Todd

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We could use a new entry license class to replace the Tech in that role, and digital privileges on UHF could certainly be included in a balanced mix of privileges.

Is anyone using our digital only band at 219-220 MHZ?

There are a growing number of hams using Ubiquiti gear in our 3 GHz band segment to do long range WiFi without interference from people's home routers. Ditto the 902 MHz band.
    http://www.aredn.org/

8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Which explains the number of commercial 220 HT and mobile rigs on ebay, reprogrammed to run on the ham band. I have one of them, talked on it last night. We have a number of repeaters around here, some of which are linked to other bands so you can instantly talk to people who don't have 220. Same goes for 900, another underutilized band with plenty of surplus rigs available at reasonable prices.

9. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

It has already been decided. UPS bought the spectrum, and they OWN it lock stock and barrel . . . . at least the bottom 2 MHz.

Two major reasons 220 was never that popular:

The band is only a ham band in the North American continent.

Little equipment was ever available that could be easily converted.

The one and only reason that 2 meters/70 cm are popular was the availability of obsolete FM police/fire radios, and the advancement of an ad-hoc national repeater network. Back then you could pick up a radio for <$100, put a set of crystals in it for about $20 or so, and by installing it yourself in the trunk (and control head under the dash), it was about as plug-and-play as one could get for a mobile rig.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Gary WA7KKP

10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

You're wrong. UPS got out of the 220 spectrum years ago.
    Now there are many licensees that "own" the 220-222 MHz spectrum in different market areas and local site-based licensees.
    Don't take my word for it. Look up the licensees in your state or county in the ULS.

KU7PDX likes this.