ad: elecraft

A proposal for revitalizing the 1.25m band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0AQX, May 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4RAA

W4RAA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 3 active 222 band repeaters Central East Coast of Florida) with in reception range of my home and another dozen plus in the state. the local 222 band repeater I use here is getting more and more activity. SSB Dxing on the 222 band is very popular along the east coast and pan handle areas.

2. N0LWF

N0LWF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

222 Mhz is very popular and gaining. There are many Meteor scatter and EME ops. It is a fun band and my favorite!

3. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

One should be more worried about the lower 20 MHz of the 70cm band that is meant for ATV, which isn't exactly booming. 400 MHz and up is on the cellular industries want list.

All the VHF and above bands need revitalizing if you ask me. I'd like to see a new license class introduced tailored to promote digital communications innovation. And maybe some of the outdated data rules can be thrown aside for this new license class.

4. WB2RXF

WB2RXF Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it really our fault manufacturers haven't jumped on the 222mhz bandwagon ? They know we want to use the band, but refuse to create radios with them. There's more 1.2 ghz equipment than 222, there's obviously a decent market for it. And when they do sell them they're over priced. Ridiculous.

5. KB9MWR

I don't think manufactures are refusing to build 222 MHz radios. It's a matter of feasibe supply and demand business model. How many 222 MHz radios do you think they might sell/we hams might buy per year? Show them the projected numbers and how you got them and then maybe someone will step up to the plate. Ham radio is pretty niche market. 220 is an even smaller slice of that.

I think the original poster had a fair idea. A radio that could maybe serve to markets. The problem is it would likely never get approved and or as pointed out the mods to enable the ham channels would run rampant.

The difference now verses say 10 years ago is even personal radios (CB/FRS) aren't a hot seller due to the influx of smartphones vs now as compared to say 10 years ago when FRS radios were selling.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  6. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

The only threat to 70 cm is military use. They are the primary users on that band, and it is that way in numerous countries. They can easily share that band with amateur use, a few satellites, and a handful of temporary experimental licensees. There is no way they could use it if there were millions of cell phones making noise on the band.

All license classes have full privileges on VHF. There is no need for a special license class as anyone can go digital if they choose to do so.

7. KB9MWR

Back in 2011 the lower part was threatened by H.R. 607, the "Broadband for First Responders Act" fortunately that bill got the axe. Sooner or later the broke government will realize the gold mine they have if they just shift around some of their military radio use. So while you are correct we have some safety since on most VHF/UHF bands we are secondary uses. Don't count on that lasting forever.

I was referring to more modern modulation techniques like OFDM, QAM. etc There are a lot of out dated bandwidth and emission rules in regard to modern digital. I say develop a digital communicator license class, with some questions on that, and Information Theory, Nyquist rates etc and encourage some people into helping advance that area of radio.

8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

KA:

Technician Class, General Class, Advanced Class, and Amateur Extra Class operators have full privileges on all bands above 50.0 MHz. However, Novice Class licensees have very limited privileges above 50.0 MHz.

The only "good" thing that came from the UPS actions concerning the 220 MHz to 222 MHz segment is that the Amateur Radio Service was made the primary user for the 222 MHz to 225 MHz segment.

Glen, K9STH

9. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

The author of the bill didn't realize the band was allocated for military or any other use, which is why it was shelved. Additionally, he wasn't aware that there were future plans for broadband already in place for other spectrum he had in mind.

Making an additional license class isn't going to do anything. Why would someone bother testing for such a license when they can take the tech exam and do the same thing?

We need a digital-only band for digital experimentation up in the gHz range. That is what I would propose. An all digital band. No FM, SSB, CW, etc. The problem with doing that is there are a lot of hams stuck back in the 1950s who would complain about it.

10. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't we already essentially have that as part of the microwave band plans? For example 3360 to 3400 MHz and 3460 to 3500 MHz.

http://www.arrl.org/band-plan