A proposal for revitalizing the 1.25m band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0AQX, May 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of 220 machines around here too. Not locally but in the Bay Area. I have a scanner programmed to a bunch of ones around here at home, and the 220 ones seem to see about as much activity as the 2m ones. Course, most of them are not standalone, they are linked to a 2m/440, but I hear a lot of people saying they are on the 220, and a lot of them have distinctive "Over" tones. One here I like a lot because the tone is "K" in Morse Code, which I think is pretty slick.

2. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are plenty of local 220 repeaters you should be able to reach: http://narcconline.org/narcc/repeater-list.cfm?Band=220&Zone=Sacramento+Valley&Type=Any

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

why? you do realize that industrial glue-drying machines are in that band, don't you? yeah cb is full of chuckle-heads, but the bulk of the hash on that band comes from industry.

4. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't assume band usage in your region is the way it is everywhere.

- Just because YOU don't hear QSO's when YOU're listening,
    doesn't mean the entire band is dead 24/7.

- Have you considered that in areas without published
    repeaters, there might just be one or two unpublished or uncoordinated?
    Uncoordinated repeaters are legal as long as they don't cause interference.

Or in those repeater-less areas, perhaps hams use 220 simplex FM or SSB regularly.

- Some new school HAMs wont like this CB idea either.
    They own and operate 220 MHz repeaters in my area.

- What else do you see "clearly" in your crystal ball besides
    the demise of the amateur 220 MHz band?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread caught my eye for a few reasons.

1) I thought I had a problem with my TM-631A on 2M (turned out to be pilot error, thread elsewhere in this forum.) The 220 band of course worked fine because I hadn't used it...
    2) I discovered that our club did not have a 1.25 repeater. At the time I didn't think much about it. I'm not saying I'd be able to influence them to start one up, but I can find out what is going on with that usage in this area.
    3) I also have a TH-F6A that has never seen that band. So all of my VHF equipment seems to already be set up to work this band. How about that?

The (perceived) non-use of this band in the area gave me, a relatively new ham, an area in which to investigate. Best of all, I have the equipment to do it. :) Very interesting thread, thanks for the discussion.

6. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

Those will likely be ruined if you put more than 0.1 watt into them. There are solutions though. That guy also sells 70 to 28 transverters, which is interesting.

7. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some 220 versions of the HT-1250 that have been modded to run on the ham bands. Problem is though that you have to use certain versions of CPS or the 5kHz deviation won't work anymore. The original radios only did 2.5 kHz so will sound low on the repeaters. There's a guy in Florida selling them on ebay for about $160.

8. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

As I'm sure others have brought up; it is 2015...and we have the internet. The procedure for unlocking the radios would be either leaked online; or hacked by other people. There would be no going to someone qualified; everyone would just go online, get the instructions, and do it themselves.

9. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

While I like the idea of DX on 11 meters, that ship has sailed long ago. There are too many CB radios circulating (including modded radios for freebanders) that would muck up the band.

10. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered an ebay HT1250 already modded into the ham band complete with battery, antenna, and charger. I got the right CPS for wide FM and the programming cable was $19. So I'll give it a try. The Condor Connection has a repeater here so I can talk into California and there are plenty of other linked repeaters around as well. Several nets each week on them so I can get a chance to try the band out.