A proposal for revitalizing the 1.25m band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0AQX, May 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a TH-F6A, it arrived today. The 1st QSO I made was on a repeater on 224.90. I did my homework before going with the Kenwood. It's the only one with 5 w on 220.

I guess the lack of equipment available may be due to other countries not having this band for hams.

2. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng UV-82X, Part 90 approved, 144/220mhz dual band, full 5W on 2m, tested as 4.8W on 222mhz. All for only $50.

I plan to get one myself despite the complete lack of 1.25m use in my area. Why? As more people see and hear others making use of it, they will spend a little to also make use of it.
    I've also been watching a few sales for basic 15-20W 220 repeaters and waiting for a great deal where I can pick one up for cheap (since so many people are taking these old repeaters out of service and replacing them with Fusion repeaters), then stick a dipole in the tree in my back yard up 50-75ft and have the only 220 repeater within 75-100 miles.

Even if rarely used, at least people will know it is there and an option. This is something more of us need to do in areas where 222 is rarely/never used. It doesn't have to be used regularly, it just has to be used before it gets taken away from us by an already overbearing gov't.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I sure don't need another handheld, but this still looks tempting DJ-V27T

4. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I love that radio!!

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several commercial two-way radios available for the 220 MHz to 222 MHz segment that can easily be retuned to the 222 MHz to 225 MHz band. However, those units use ACSB which is not a popular mode for amateur radio use. However, ACSB is, like other phone modes, legal, where phone operation is allowed, on every amateur radio band except for the 5-channel 60-meter band which is USB or CW only.

Glen, K9STH

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like all my Alinco radios, great solid units, sensible controls, readable manual, great audio.

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to get a DJ-G29 whilst they were still available.

8. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a fella on eBay selling 222 to 28 mhz transverters for a hundred bucks shipped. Thinking of grabbing one of those and strapping it to my old 735 or something. 10 watts out is enough to dabble.

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I "assume" that you mean this one:

http://transverters-store.com/222mhz.htm

I like the comment, on the 2nd page of the documentation, where the seller tells people not to adjust the coils unless they know what they are doing!

Glen, K9STH

10. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat WA6MHZ is right about the availability of 220 repeaters in the San Diego area. The Condor System also runs linked 220 repeaters in CA. I use the Toro Peak repeater from Borrego Springs with an Alinco 296 HT and home brew colinear antenna. Mobile radio in the Jeep is an Alinco 235. I'd like a 220 brick for my 736 but they cost as much as a small car.

EdZ KG6UTS