A proposal for revitalizing the 1.25m band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0AQX, May 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2VVV

WB2VVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me know when you want to try. My "big" 6m station is a 4L beam at 65' with a 4CX800 final, and my "big" 2m station is a 12L beam at 70' with a 3CX800 final. Those "big" 6m and 2m stations are out back in my post and beam shack along with very effective HF antennas. The higher bands along with smaller 6m and 2m stations are situated on the roof of my house with antennas at the 40' level.

I was listening to a beacon down in Virginia on 2m yesterday. My QTH is in RI is on a reasonably high plateau. It is an excellent HF QTH near a historic WW2 HF listening site that was recently declassified. Many times I have been told by DX that I am the only US station they hear...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not opposed to the idea but it looks like ALL ham bands will eventually be sold off for more cell phone, LMR, and WIFI bandwidth

It's a shame more hams didn't invest in 220

It's MUCH better than 2 meters since interference is non existent and range is similar

The total absense of retired commercial repeaters and radios really killed it

3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we are the only country that has the band.
    I would believe the number of hams and the interest here would not be enough of mfgers to offer very much on an ongoing basis.
    A search for equipment shows HTs and some mobiles for FM, no multimode, and almost no amplifiers for the band unless you want to invest $700+ according to one mfger who will make one for you. No antenna Pre amps unless you request one made for you at the same or higher costing.
    Beams are relatively easy to get but still not a large selection.
    I jumped into it for several reasons knowing full well the use of the equipment would be very limited.
    The club I belong to wants to do contesting so an additional band offers interest and points and I don't have to work very hard at it, hi hi.
    I started with a Transverter and one beam at 20 watts. My personal interest is in accomplishment as the driving factor to search for an amplifier and found a very low cost source of retied commercial units that are virtually a no brainer to use on this band. The results is 150 watts and relatively low total outlay.
    I could have done 300 watts or even 1kw building a tube amp based on the 4CX family of tubes but not really interested in that level of performance unless there was high interest in the band.
    Here in eastern Pa, we don't do very well for long distances unless there is a good propagation enhancement, high gain and height beams, and other ops are present to take advantage of.
    Good luck.

4. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

I like this idea, in fact, I always wondered why it's not allowed by the rules...

Yep...FCC rules don't permit cross communication between the Amateur Radio Service and other radio services, except between military stations on Armed Forces Day.

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not limited to only military stations.
    §97.111 Authorized transmissions.
    (a) An amateur station may transmit the following types of two-way communications:
    (3) Transmissions necessary to exchange messages with a station in another FCC-regulated service while providing emergency communications;
    (4) Transmissions necessary to exchange messages with a United States government station, necessary to providing communications in RACES; and
    (5) Transmissions necessary to exchange messages with a station in a service not regulated by the FCC, but authorized by the FCC to communicate with amateur stations. An amateur station may exchange messages with a participating United States military station during an Armed Forces Day Communications Test.

6. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

...yes, I agree; but the other scenarios involve emergencies, and while in RACES operations are in effect.

7. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hint hint; Securicor amplifiers by Linear Modulation Technologies work in the 222 band.
    Retune the input circuit if you need to. The input stage is standard slug tuned transformer type.
    Takes very little drive for full output. It can even be driven by an HT on lowest power setting and still may be to much drive.
    Be sure to have some form of Ptt to operate the amplifier.
    Add external T/R switching, a 5 volt zener supply to enable the amplifier and your on with up to 170 watts on FM and recommend lower drive to bring peak power into the 125-130 range for SSB linear operation.
    This unit needs it's dedicated power supply of 13/26 volts DC but could be powered with other supplies.
    The second and final stages are FETs.
    Good luck.

8. OK2XOC

OK2XOC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmpf, ITU2 has extra bands (31cm, 4m, ...) extended coverage in 70cm, 2m, most of HF bands compared to us European folks, and it's still not enough for you guys. :D

9. WB2VVV

WB2VVV Ham Member QRZ Page

The 222 MHz Spring Sprint is this Tuesday evening 7P-11P local time, so look towards Rhode Island for me...

10. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I am delayed a bit on equipment parts.
    Can't get the second antenna for stacking yet. Trying not to go with other makes unless forced to.
    Waiting for an attenuator to be shipped from Ore..
    The final set up will be a DEMI Transverter for driving the amplifier SSB and a direct feed to the amplifier from an HT for FM.
    Power in / power out test using the HT and an adjustable attenuator shows a really Linear response up to 170 watts out, then quickly noses over into gain limiting by 182 watts..
    I am happy with 170 watts for SSB PEP work.
    Now if I can get the second antenna to match the one I have, I will be ready to go.
    In testing through a local repeater, I got an answer from an op who said he never heard anyone on the repeater, so there is the first contact with the amplifier on FM.
    Have patience, plan then execute.
    Good luck.