A New Tarheel screwdriver antenna install on a RV Fifth Wheel

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KB3WFV, Jul 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When life serves up lemons, you make lemonade. When you are a ham and a tree branch punches a hole in the roof of your RV, you make lemonade ham style!

Here is a video that shows the installation of a Tarheel 200hp screwdriver antenna with the motorized lift and lay antenna mount, while repairing the roof on my fifth wheel.

Brian
    KB3WFV

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    NN7W, N7AGA, K7WFM and 1 other person like this.
  2. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! That's one expensive mount! But you got a new roof out of the deal right? I have not had any branches fall through mine yet so I'll have to just be satisfied with my Tarheel on the metal shed roof behind our fiver. (We're "permanently" parked at a resort in FL) BTW, how's that conterpoise work for you. Looks good.

3. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N4MU

Thanks. So far so good. I am pleased with this antenna setup. Super simple to set up and operate. Despite the poor band conditions we have received good signal reports on 80m, 40m and 20m. We hope to get out a few more times this year and work some more contacts.

Brian
    KB3WFV

4. K0PIR

K0PIR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that's awesome. Nice setup!

5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, do you have the high power Tarheel (#100)? That's what I use with an ALS-600 amp in the front cubbie below the bedroom/operating position. It's all remoted and operates great! The Tarheel is a performer. What it gives up in gain it kind of recoups in tuning to 1.2:1...of course that's why I added the 600...for the gain. LOL There's not been many pileups I can't get through...with a little patience thrown in. If you have the model 100 I suggest saving your schekels for a 600...or similar...it's great in the RV. Watch those trees now.

6. N7AGA

N7AGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice!

7. W5TWT

W5TWT Ham Member QRZ Page

that sure is a nice setup. i have a tarheel mounted on the jack of my rv. seems to work fine. at that time i would actually transmit from that antenna while traveling or while i was driving. it worked great with my kenwood ts480hx.
    IMG_20150226_214340414.jpg v IMG_20150226_214407679.jpg

K7WFM likes this.
  8. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Brian, was that insurance work? I have its cousin trailer the Keystone Cougar 289BHS