ad: elecraft

A new (legal) 60m wspr frequency is active

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by VE7BPB, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with that... is that it's still a problem. By the logic you are following, anything can be "street legal" on the bands as long as enough people do it long enough. There is all kinds of behavior that I see from time to time on the bands that I don't want to see become legally acceptable.

The NTIA quote that you mentioned doesn't say anything about the alignment of the signals within the channel, just the signal type. The regulations actually speak to both, and operating off-center on 60m is still in violation of the active Part 97 rules. Whether FCC does anything about it or not, it's still wrong. If the regulations don't matter, let's just do away with them all -- callsigns, content, modes, frequencies, all of it. What you are suggesting is wild wild west, one rule at a time.

W9AT likes this.
  2. AI8W

AI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

The following is simply my opinion, based on what I've read here and off the FCC website.
    Per the US regs: Phone is permitted in the 60M band, provided that no more than 2.8kHz is occupied, and that the lower and upper limits of the SSB Phone signal are centered on the "center" of the channel... So 1.4kHz below and 1.4kHz above the center of the channel.
    WSPR signals are extremely low bandwidth... and, per the way I read the rules, we can, as radio amateurs, transmit anywhere in the channel, provide we don't exceed 1.4kHz below or 1.4kHz above the center frequency of the channel.
    So, if we set our USB dial to 1.4kHz below the "center", the 1500Hz audio signal (if we leave our AF at the default) will fall 100Hz above the center frequency of the channel...
    Since we're permitted to use UP TO 2.8kHz centered on the channel, and the limits of the RF frequency we're permitted to use in a single transmission are 1.4kHz above and below the channel center, I don't see any LEGAL reason why we can't set the dial for 1.5kHz below the center, set USB, and WSPR away on any of the U.S. authorized channels.
    If I'm wrong, please point out where...
    I know this thread is over a year old, but I'm curious as to why I'm not hearing WSPR anywhere on the 60M band... especially since I've just modded my IC-718 to transmit there.
    Thanks in advance.
    de AI8W

3. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Myself and another station on the East Coast will be on 5.355.700 USB dial frequency (actual wspr signal at 5.357.200 +/-) for the next week at least. Give a listen.

regards, Roy

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume that means if someone is operating PSK-31 on 5332.000 KHz then someone else can't be on 5332.040, i.e., slightly to the right on the waterfall. That seems like a waste of bandwidth if it is not being used. I haven't listened so I'm not sure how strictly that rule is followed.

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and yes. :)

See: http://www.arrl.org/60m-channel-allocation

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, That arrl OPINION isn't worth the paper it is written on.

statements such as "...it appears that any J2D data emission is to be permitted up to a bandwidth of 2.8 kHz, provided that care is exercised to limit the length of transmissions ." shows the lack of arrl understanding (or perhaps, it really exposes their 60 meter EMCOM agenda).

The bandwidth of a signal has nothing to do with limiting the length of transmissions.

If I Tx @ 1.4, can I then Tx twice as long?

YMMV;)

AL4Y likes this.
  7. W1ZOT

W1ZOT Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as a control operator is present, it's not an issue. If anyone is interested in doing some trails, you contact me via the email address on my QRZ page. 73...Phil...DE KA1GMN