A new kind of ripoff and scam

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K6KRV, Jan 6, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6KRV

K6KRV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was contacted by Frances McMichael, KB3EHD in Timblin PA. He or she said they had an Ameco AC-1 for sale and sent me photos. We agreed on a priced that I thought was fair and sent the funds via Paypal. They asked that I use "friends or family" to send the money so as to avoid a fee. I did so.

Interestingly they knew the "jargon" we use -- QTH, shack, rig!!

Since then, over a week ago, I've never heard from them again. I've sent emails to no avail. I tried to file a dispute with Paypal -- but since the "friends and family" option was used, it cannot be disputed.

So, in the end, I think I was scammed.

Does anyone know this ham operator. The address is 111 E. Market St., Timblin, PA.

My email is k6krv@qsl.net

Let me know if you know anything.

Dennis K6KRV

2. KD2BBC

KD2BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU CAN ALWAYS DO THE FRIEND AND FAMILY THING FROM PAY PAL ONLY WITH PEOPLE YOU REALLY TRUST... SURE YOU CAN NOT DISPUTE IT WITH PAY PAL AND I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOST.
    THE SCAMMERS ARE ON THE RISE SO JUST BE CAREFUL NEXT TIME.

3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dennis:

There isn't anything like a "new" scam or ripoff.

They're only "new" to a person who never heard of them before.

N9LCD

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes when you try to ripoff Paypal You get ripped off. :eek:

Almost sounds fair. o_O

Sorry for your loss.

KA9MOT, K6FNI, N8MSA and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So true. Do not rip off pay pal if you do not want to be ripped off yourself. What goes around comes around!!!!! There is a lot of dishonest people on both sides. Ripping off pay pal is just as bad as you being ripped off. Am I wrong? If you think it is ok to cheat pay pal then you are as bad as the scammers on here. Sorry to step on people's toes!!!

KA9MOT and K6FNI like this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

7. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You should check out the person a little better, google their address and look for antennas !! WHY USE FRIENDS ,, Tell them you can collect and pay on exchange and see what they say! I have sold two radios for about 1500 dollars each and used paypal both times but even as I was receiving the money i still checked them out.. as they could have said they never received them and claimed the money back...So if you are not prepared to jump in the car and go and do the deal in person you must do more than just send money via paypal.

8. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OH and another way to check for a dodgy seller is to ask for an email then use the right mouse button on the email and click on source code for the page and look at the page very carefully, if it has more than one source then its a con...you can even use free internet service to see where the email really came from....Africa being a favourite some times its even fun to take on these scammers at their own game and get them to jump through a few hoops...then tell them the source code has been sent to the fraud squad...

9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it's a "new kind of ripoff and scam" for those of us who are not seasoned PayPal users.

Sorry to hear about your hard learned lesson Dennis. It stings even more when you find out it wasn't "Frances McMichael, KB3EHD in Timblin PA" who scammed you.

I know! I was just taken (a few days ago) for $70 from some lying, cheating, thieving son of a ... I thought he was a ham in New York.

I'm new in here, but it seems like a lot of folks are scammed for probably the same reason I (and Dennis) were scammed: a combination of emotion, trust, and naivete.

There's a large gap between those of us who still like to communicate with on/off keying using tube-type equipment and this internet thing.

"Please use the Family and Friends option on paypal and when I confirm payment, I'll ship...."

No! No! No! NO! (now I know...)(and so does Dennis)(and probably many others who paid dearly for that over-priced lesson)

The fine print on many of these types of internet transactions are like the EULA's you have to agree to before installing software... ya ya ya, whatever, just click "I agree" and move on--nothing bad ever happens.

I have a suggestion: How about making a sticky thread (somewhere OBVIOUS) entitled "WARNING: Do *NOT* use "PAYPAL FAMILY AND FRIENDS" option if they are NOT your FAMILY OR FRIEND!"

Maybe having something like this with red flashing lights, sirens, police crime scene yellow tape and a big red STOP sign at the top of the forum will prevent someone else, like me and Dennis, from noticing the QRZ forums for the first time and seeing it as a way to purchase something that is not available anywhere else, and then being taken advantage of.

99% of the hams I meet are honest people who prove one way or another I can trust them. That, plus internet scams... well, the old saying, "one bad apple ruins the whole bunch" applies.

The Bank Transfer thing is pretty obvious to me, but maybe *that's* not obvious to some others either.

I'm not dealing with anybody again unless I can look them in the eye.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've said it before and will say it again: I will NEVER sell using any method other than USPS Money Order and I will NEVER buy anything from an internet seller using anything other than Paypal "Goods and Services"

I protect MY interests and if the potential seller or buyer get miffed, they can go elsewhere.

Sorry you got ripped off - NEVER use "friends and family" - EVER

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.