A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that not exactly what I said?

Walt (G3NYY)

2. W7SUA

W7SUA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten WPM is perfect speed for me especially if I am low power and in a remote area. Thanks Jordan!

K8XG likes this.
  3. AC7CW

AC7CW Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that the advantage of FT8CALL is that ops can find other ops. The disadvantage is that it's not all that great for QSO's. The disadvantage of Olivia and other modes seems to be that ops can't find other ops so easily. FT8CALL might be best used for ops using the more chatty modes to hook up and move to another mode.

4. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep :) D U H :) I should never post without coffee first.
    I truely meant the QRZ "Working Different Modes" digital forum, but
    eham must be burned into my brain or my arse (difference??) :)

Seriously, though, why not start a dicussion thread on the Working
    Different Modes forum?

Neal

5. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's probably for the best, anyway.

You completely missed the intent of FT8Call in the original post here....that has already caused enough misunderstanding and confusion.

6. KJ7WT

KJ7WT Subscriber QRZ Page

I downloaded and installed the software - so far, I have seen zero activity on 40, 30, and 20m, over several hours. I sent CQ a number of times, with no response. I made numerous FT-8 QSO's on 20 & 30, so I'm confident the rig/antenna are good, but no FT8CALL stuff. Hopefully, that will change. It would be nice to exchange more than just a signal report.

7. WB8LBZ

WB8LBZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well it didn't work as advertised. For some reason I got sent a bum link. I guess no FT8Call for me. Tell me again what is so great about Groups.IO? I never had a problem with a Yahoo group.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The Groups.IO is the BETA SITE support group. It's not intended, I'm pretty sure, as the "come here and get started" for any but the geeks willing to work out issues on the installation.

Take a chill pill and wait a while - a full-blown "easy peasy" download will come along soon.

Work some CW, SSB, or FT8 in the meantime, until they get the final version ready for the masses :)

Dave
    W7UUU

9. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Larry,

Right now FT8CALL is the second most popular digital mode based on PSK Report, my point being, some of us actually down loaded the program..It works real well.

Here is the PSK Reporter stats,

FT8 700676
    FT8CALL 3932
    CW 1261
    PSK31 451
    JT65 166
    SIM31 85
    OPERA 38
    JT9 26
    ROS 13
    OLIVIA 11
    PSK63 7
    WSPR 6
    RTTY 2
    PSK 2
    THOR 1
    MT63-500 1
    PSK32

C U on the bands

NN2X, Tom

10. IZ4OSH

IZ4OSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone, sorry my meddling I just wanted to say this: but it is so essential to introduce another type of transmission to make a QSO? (Ft8call) with all the operating modes that we type PSK, Rtty, Olivia, CW, voice, etc.? I personally do not think I have to overload the amateur radio bands with other computer devilries. The band of 20m 14.080 remember that it is the initial portion for those who do rtty if we then put even ft8call you can no longer listen much less make a QSO or a contest. I have done some tests with ft8call, I must say that I do not like. In my opinion to make an adequate QSO just what we have already available. FT8 (WSJT) only serves for those seeking a simple dx, ft8call do not consider it indispensable. Good Day 73

NO2Y likes this.