ad: Radclub22-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've noted the FT8 modulation Worm Drops knocks out my copy of PSK31 and RTTY when its only 500hz away. I see it happen when FT8 spreads down into the PSK31 band I work on 20 meters. Olivia can still get thru, but not PSK31 , RTTY, MFSK or Contestia. Sort of like how PACTOR grubs [the sound they make] wipe out those other modes in the waterfall close by. And this is using width and shift even to narrow my copy bandwidth of the Contestia signal for example.

I am embracing FSQCall, evangelized it to the local and regional ham friends of mine, and like it. However, I really feel [IMHO] 14.080 needs to change as the default to something else. Folks this morning didn't move their VFO or pointers in the water fall when the RTTY signals where running in 1900-2500 today.

2. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A Great Milestone + 5000 contacts for FT8CALL...2nd Place....Can't wait until fully released!

Mode Count
    FT8 720973
    FT8CALL 5145
    CW 3785
    PSK63 424
    JT65 380
    PSK31 357
    ROS 108
    SIM31 54
    JT9 41
    RTTY 34
    OPERA 32
    PSK125 13
    PI4 12
    MSK144 8
    OLIVIA 8
    JT4 6
    SSB 3
    FSK441 1

SV1UY, N1AAE, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  3. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The frequencies will change in the next version y'all. Just working out where. I'll be messaging the announcement group to try to dial down a few kHz to not interfere with other signals during the weekend.

W7UUU, N1AAE, G3NYY and 1 other person like this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So today I went QRP Back Patio Portable at 5 watts into a 20 foot 20 meter vertical pole [has a trap for 17]. While having a nice 30 min relaxing QSO from NWOhio to AR I noticed Europe , Venezuela heard my signal. I never had the radio today over 5 watts. Wow does this get out !

VA3OSO, SV1UY, N1AAE and 1 other person like this.
  5. KN4CRD

That's the exciting part. Strike up a conversation with Rio QRP :)

6. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I will try it out once the frequencies are fixed. I've used FT8 extensively. I'm not opposed to the new variation by any means. As long as it plays nice with the others I think it will add to the hobby

K8XG and KN4CRD like this.
  7. N1AAE

N1AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

LIVE RIGHT NOW: FT8Call YouTube livestream.

EDIT: Will only stream for a little while. Had to take a phone call so I won't be operating and using internet via a WISP so won't keep it going too long.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  8. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You will love this mode, especially the features, look at this video, it is more than you think, it is not only QSO with FT8, but a ton more features that make a qso contact much easier, and try this feature "ALLCALL?" That is neat

KD2NOM, AA5CT, N0VFJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good!

Because 7.080, 14.080, are RTTY FREQUENCIES!

Go somewhere else!

Jim W7RY

NO2Y and W7UUU like this.
  10. KN4CRD

That's the spirit!

NO2Y, W0FW, W0PV and 2 others like this.