ad: elecraft

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty good density for RTTY. 8 signals in 1000Hz.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will see FT8CALL grow exponentially in the next few weeks.

People want to be part of the action, beyond the machine:)

K8XG, KN4CRD and N1AAE like this.
  3. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

There is certainly plenty of activity, as witnessed by the PSKReporter record. However it seems that most of the activity is people transmitting beacons, calling CQ with no replies, and sending ALLCALL? to get a bunch of automated SNR reports. There are very few actual QSOs taking place!
    In the past 24 hours I have managed to complete 12 QSOs (all on 20m or 40m), but PSKReporter indicates that I have been heard by at least 60 different stations. A lot of guys seem to just leave their receivers running in FT8CALL mode, but never respond to CQ calls. If I send ALLCALL? I often get half a dozen automated reports back, but none of the stations are available to have a QSO.

Walt (G3NYY)

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps there should be some new 2 letter abbreviation in the cq message, to indicate the operator is present and its not like a refrigerator running by itself:)

I suggest something like: W1YW: cqcqcq OP K

OP: 'operator present'

KE0EYJ, K8XG and G3NYY like this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

LW: LiveWare

W1YW likes this.
  6. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

3 letter OMA Old man alive/awake

KD4MOJ, WD4IGX and W1YW like this.
  7. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In HRD Logbook I just defined FT8CALL as a new mode, and will be using that to log the correct mode.

When ADIF and ARRL/LoTW get their acts together and define an "offical" FT8CALL mode, I will instantly upload to LoTW with the correct mode. Assuming that my QSO partners will do the same, our QSOs will match in LoTW, while I guess FT8CALL QSOs logged as FT8 will not be matched with FT8CALL.

This looks like last year, when FT8 was officially released mid-July. I think ADIF had the new mode defined about mid-August, while LoTW took about a week longer. I guess they will be able to repeat that, however, they may want to delay the start of the approval process until there is a general release of FT8CALL.

73 Frode LA6VQ

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is now, by far, the most inputted QSO mode in LOTW.

LB9YH likes this.
  9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking of popularity for FT8CALL....Not even commissioned...And take a look at today's stats! (From PSK Reporter)!

Mode Count

FT8 599984
    FT8CALL 3125 (2nd Place)
    CW 1947
    PSK31 432
    PSK63 279
    JT65 234
    RTTY 159
    SIM31 92
    ROS 76
    JT9 52
    MSK144 41
    OPERA 28
    OLIVIA 11
    PSK125 9
    MFSK16 3
    SSB 3
    PI4 2
    FSK441 1
    JT65B 1
    SIM63 1
    OLIVIA-8 1

I can't wait until this is fully commissioned..

10. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Whu uses PSK63? I don't think I've ever seen it here. WHERE do they use it?

11. N1AAE

N1AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish TSQL would recognize FT8Call as a mode so I can upload to LOTW directly and sync to QRZ as I've been doing with FT8.

12. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is NO directed query that will produce a CQCQCQ from an unattended station.........so if you see someone calling CQ you can be 99.99% sure they are manning their station.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, of course.... but the attention span can be that of a 4 year old. The machine does the little work needed, in FT8.

'OP' means that someone will be present for a chat. Not just the 3 second monitoring of a two minute link.

14. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just tab on this URL

https://pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl

Scroll down some on the page and you see the stats.

Cheers

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Of course not. Not in the native software. It's called a "Keystroke Logging Macro " - search YouTube for "FT8 full Automation". You simply download and install a Macro Logger, and "teach" it the mouse clicks needed to run FT8 as if it were you running the mouse. That results in "fully automated mode". Then head off on a 30-day vacation and come back to see who all you "worked" :)

That's what people mean when they say "full automation mode" - it's third party, not native to WSJT-X. You can often tell when you're being called by such an unattended robot: the caller will call and call and call and call - you can move up and down the waterfall calling your CQ but that blasted station is unrelenting because it's in automation mode for a new grid, and you're the only new grid calling. I had a W6 in CA the other day who did this for almost 30 minutes!! I finally worked him just to get him off my back. Very annoying.

And of course, the Macro can also be set to call CQ and auto-answer. Clearly never intended by WSJT-X developers. But there are those lazy greedy folks out there looking for the easiest path to awards possible - they are the ones posting these videos, to bring more lazy greedy folks on board.

FT8CALL should be 100% "robot free" I'm thinking...

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-8-16_10-49-45.png

WA9UAA, AK9S and W0FW like this.