A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I really haven't used FT8 in the past. I have never been attracted to it, because I wanted something I could rag chew in, and have always wanted a digital mode that relied less on the internet. People can enjoy it, and I am happy for them. However, I still have this odd personal quirk that makes me feel a mode is of less interest to me, if it requires on "outside help" from the internet. For a mode to be palatable to me, I need it to work on its own... a computer is OK, but I would want it to work in a situation where someone were in the wild, and where there were no satellites or internet to rely on, for any reason.

Please explain something for me... does FT8Call rely on a properly-timed internet clock? Is FT8Call different in that I could be in a shack "off the grid" with no internet, and pick it up after several days of non-use, and it would just work? Or does it rely on outside internet information (such as timing, etc) to work properly?

Not saying I wouldn't play with FT8Call, but I'm just seeking perspective.

Thanks.

2. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm working on a signal detector for timing recovery without the need for an accurate timing reference. However, currently you need an accurate clock. But, that accurate clock doesn't need to be internet connected. A GPS dongle would work well (a number of portable ops are using this today). A manual sync like this http://vtenn.com/Blog/?p=1319 would also work.

W0PV and KE0EYJ like this.
  3. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About RTTY and others.

Just look at PSK Reporter, over the last 2 hours there has been nearly 2000 QSOs for FT8CALL (Not even commissioned yet), while RTTY has 9 QSO

FT8CALL has been bouncing around 2nd place and 3rd place. I will predict, when FT8 is fully commissioned this will be solid 2nd place on activities on Ham bands...

Here is the URL to confirm

https://pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl

Cheers

NN2X,

G3NYY likes this.
  4. WA4JQS

WA4JQS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom. as of right now you are correct but during contest you are wrong. ft8call can go down in freq it does not have to go up. popular or not does not make a difference to the guy who uses a mode be it ft8,psk or rtty. to him the mode he likes is great. what your suggesting is going to cause problems and start hard feelings towards those who use ft8call. just taking a freq before you research the band plan does not make for happy campers.
    i started swling in the mid 50's got my ticket in 62 and have seen this happen before. just think you should put a little more thought and time in picking a freq.
    Good luck
    73 Tony WA4JQS / VP8BZL

NO2Y likes this.
  5. NN2X

About accurate clock..

Down load http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

There are million of the them, take 2 minutes, and presto, your clock is perfect and makes FT8 and FT8CALL good to go...

KB2SMS and WA4JQS like this.
  6. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

At this link you keep citing, the chart shows ONE frequency, not a "band" (or range) of freqs, so, what constitutes the "bands" each of these numbers represents?

Also, are these the RF frequencies that are shown, or transceiver "dial" or window frequencies that are shown?

Let's take 160 meters, the chart shows 1.838 -- is this the RF frreq or the transceiver "dial" or window freq (sometimes called the "carrier" freq)?

7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's neat, and I applaud your progress for us. I am sure you will achieve your goal -- very fun to see it come together for you.

Not to seem rude, but am thinking from a perspective of a future war where satellites were destroyed or blocked, and I wanted to communicate with family in another country (I live in South Korea as HL1ZIX, by the way). That might explain my reasoning a bit better.

NN2X, also thanks for the link -- but these are also satellite-dependent, right?

8. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally understand. I've used this successfully. It would only require you to hear another station to synchronize audibly. Neat idea, IMHO: http://vtenn.com/Blog/?p=1319

K8XG and KE0EYJ like this.
  9. NN2X

I use this clocking program...It works. I can tell you my FT8 was slow on contacts, (Exchanges) once i down loaded this, it was very fast. Of course running TX Hold was another key

10. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

WB5WPA, good question. This is the center frequency you dial to. All of these modes are pretty narrow , but the default frequencies in FT8CALL ARE these center frequencies. Something even a quarter as popular as FT8 will completely crowd out these other modes.

This is especially critical because these modes are NOT as popular as FT8. It's not feasible to scour the bands looking for a single signal that may not even be there. They need their frequency to keep the small number of users together and to increase the likelihood of a qso.

During ARRL Field Day or a contest, these frequencies will be wall to wall, but most of the time activity stays near the center

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018