ad: k1jek

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great point - I am logging them as FT8 for the time being

2. VE3EFQ

VE3EFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Impossible to port to android? Be nice to run this mode in the bush with my tiny cell phone!

3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 came along at just the right time in the current poor solar cycle to allow
    Hams with low power and compromised antenna situations the ability to make
    some fun contacts. I see nothing wrong with this new ' tool ' in any Ham's tool box :)
    Just have fun no matter what mode / system you use :)

G3SEA/KH6

N3MLB likes this.
  4. KC8HQX

KC8HQX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is indeed an interesting development. FT8 was mildly interesting to me at best because it didn't seem like much more than an active beacon system. This fixes that. The only other annoying barrier is the need for an outside time source, I.E. the Internet. FT8Call sounds like a fantastic candidate for backpack radios except that there's no time source in the woods. And unfortunately, there's talk that WWV/H will be shut down (look at NIST's 2019 budget proposal).

I also concur that it should not use frequencies that other modes have occupied per the gentleman's agreement. Otherwise you might find PSK31 right on top of your QSO. Given the tiny bandwidth requirements, this shouldn't be a problem.

I'd also take care when suggesting this might eventually wind up in the phone portion of the bands. Propagation will not always be this lousy; good stewardship would go a long way in preventing future holy wars.

KC8HQX

N3MLB likes this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have your mouse on the time update button and press when your hand held GPS ticks over to the new min. Hopefully at least a few GPS satellites survive the next Carrington flare

6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone guide me as to why my station sends 2 frames on Beacon instead of one? I looked in all the menu and I must be missing a few tress again ;)

18:01:26 - (1201) - K8XG: BEACON EN81 K8XG: BEACON EN81

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got the program set up and noticed the exact same thing too. Hhhmmmm . . .

8. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not impossible. Just difficult.

This is intentional. Beacons are randomly offset by +/- 15 seconds from the scheduled duration and are 30 seconds long so there's more of a chance for two stations to hear each other when they start beaconing at the same time.

9. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried this before: http://vtenn.com/Blog/?p=1319

You can be surprisingly accurate this way. I might build something like this into the app one day.

W0PV, WD4IGX and K8XG like this.
  10. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4RCD How about modifying the app so it's not using the PSK31 and RTTY frequencies by default?

NN4RH and KC8HQX like this.