A modest proposal for Field Day traditionalists

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Jun 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't mind being a 1D or 1E, sure. But if you're in your own backyard, that is exactly what you will be. ;)

2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I didn't have a friend with me it was either two be or not to be so I was one B.

AC0GT likes this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether it's class E or class B depends on the incredibly precise measurement of whether the operating location is a "good hike" from the home's restroom. So if you decided that you were 1B, then you were 1B. I got out my measuring tape and determined that our backyard isn't a "good hike," so we went to a park instead, and went before we went.

4. W4NNF

And that's fine. But you can't be a 1B in your backyard.
    ;)

5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The validity of one's FD class (and section, for that matter) used is between the operator and his God. I doubt ARRL has a cadre of field agents lurking about, taking notes, and video recording for DQ evidentiary purposes. Fellow ham narcs, sure. Official agents, no.

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

They're out with a measuring tape to see if station locations are a "good hike" from the restroom. Of course, that's just a part-time job. The rest of the year, they go around inspecting mattresses to see if the tags have been torn off.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I asked a Field day person , " I am on a battery in my backyard" he said 1B.
    So all those contacts don't count. What was I?

8. W4NNF

1E. Look over the rules, Burt. The same restrictions apply as with "A" operations:

"Such stations must be located in places that are not regular station locations and must not use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any structure installed permanently for Field Day."

If you used the facilities of your home, you cannot be 1B...sorry...but that's OK. 1E is good, too. :)

N2EY likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1E

Read and understand the Field Day rules.

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you peed outside, you're 1B.

If you peed inside, you're 1E.

K5MUG, WN1MB and W4NNF like this.