A modest proposal for Field Day traditionalists

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Jun 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm calling it a wrap. Had to actually work for those last two contacts. 40M was wonderful; 20M was all work. Maybe if I had some 1/4 wavelength runs of tape draped about it would have helped.

One filled log sheet goal met.

27 contacts, 16 sections on 40M
    5 contacts, 4 sections (but not new sections) on 20M

Too lazy and unconcerned to figure the score.

Emergency powered HW-8 @ 2W output to 60' of #26 magnet wire.

Operated 100% of the time WITHOUT a face mask or condom. I like to live dangerously.

W7UUU and AD5HR like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep an eye out for forum posts asking, "where's the 17m row on the summary sheets?" ;)

KU4X, WN1MB and W0IS like this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought 20 was disappointing. There were a lot of signals and I was in a quiet spot, so the band sounded good. But when I looked at the S meter, none of them looked very strong. So my 5 watts on the other end probably wasn't very loud.

I could have made a dipole for 40, but my time was somewhat limited, it was working well enough on 20, and I probably would have run out of yellow tape.

4. WN1MB

Burt, K1OIK, mentioned in the other big FD thread that 20M was poor for him, too, and that as he went up in frequency to 15, then 10 M things improved dramatically.

Guess 20M was just punk.

5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Spencer’s Gifts, And similar novelty stores. In the mall, or online.

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

From NTX, yesterday, 20 was short, 40 and 80 was very noisy (very difficult from my perspective). Signals were occasionally barely perceptible on 10 and 15.

This morning before the sun came up, 80 was usable out to about 600 miles. After the sun came up 40 was good all over the states and up into Canada, on 20 I worked a few more, but I heard several I'd already worked yesterday more clearly. 10 and 15 were up and down--had to be quick exchanges and a couple of repeats on 10 and 15.

Edit: The submission form will figure your score for you. Just need numbers worked by band and a cabrillo formatted text file log. Be sure to put "Outstanding In Their Field ARC" in the club field.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason, I didn't notice the depressed 20m signals that people describe. For fun, I averaged the SNR values generated by WSJT-X for all of the decodes of stations working me across the bands I worked:

80m: -9.8 dB
    40m: -11.5
    20m: -11.2
    10m: -6.6
    6m: -8.7

So at least for me, 40m and 20m were roughly the same in terms of received signal estimates. Maybe it was an Oklahoma thing?

8. WN1MB

Wow! Here in New England, 40M was awesome, yet 20M only sported very rare strong stations with all stations riding deep QSB cycles.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like we're up to three members, as WK2S uploaded his log. He's never posted on the Zed forums, but he's an avid WWFF operator, so he was probably outstanding in some state or national park field.

http://field-day.arrl.org/fdentriesrcvd.php

W5UAA likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

40 was plenty good. The big surprise, though? 15 and 10! :)