A modest proposal for Field Day traditionalists

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Jun 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

For Field Day this year, home stations can work other home stations for points. Despite the obstacles, I'll be operating a more traditional Field Day operation, which will probably consist of a few hours operating from a city park. I've already ordered a fold-up canopy (which we were planning on getting anyway) and some yellow crime scene tape to keep infected onlookers at a safe distance. Maybe I'll try to get myself one of these signs:

[​IMG]

I understand the reasons for the rule change, but it still seems to me that for Field Day, it's best, if humanly possible, to operate while out standing (or sitting) in an actual field, as a Class A or Class B entry.

The other change this year is that all entries can name a club for calculation of a club score. (Unlike affiliated club scores in other contests, there is no geographical limitation.)

I therefore propose the formation of a club for us traditionalists, and have taken the liberty of drawing up the Articles of Association below for The Outstanding in Their Field Amateur Radio Field Day Club.

As you can see, this club is very easy to join. There are no dues, meetings, etc. The early adopters can formally sign on as members. Those who are on the fence can join simply by naming the club in their FD entry.

I'm not planning on making a ton of QSOs this year, but the ones I make will be from a bona fide field. And unlike most years, I'll need to send in a log this year. Is there any interest in forming this club?

AJ4UY likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Crime scene tape? "Do not talk to radio operators?" I thought one of the reasons behind Field Day was to expose the public to ham radio?

W4POT, W4HWD, K1OIK and 1 other person like this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, I don't want any humans who are not members of my immediate household within six feet of me this year. I'll probably put up a sign with a QR code explaining what's going on. And since I'll be there by myself for most of the time, I won't be able to chat. When people see me listening to beeps and fiddling with something with my hands, they don't get the idea that I'm involved in a conversation and can't talk to them.

And Walmart doesn't sell tape that says "crime scene," so I'm going to have to settle for tape that says "caution." :)

Either way, sitting at home in my own basement doesn't do a lot of promoting amateur radio to the public, so even if I'm somewhat anti-social, it's still an improvement.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    K0UO and AJ4UY like this.
  4. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures. How ever it plays out for you, stay safe and have fun.

My XYL and I will operate from our back yard with our portable generator, solar, and battery. anywhere else is too great a COVID 19 risk for us. At 73 catching it is a death sentence for me and while she is much younger it wouldn't play out well for her either.

I was under the impression that Field Day as we have known it was radically altered this year for the obvious health and safety reasons.

KX4O and W5ESE like this.
  5. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A public park ?
    Is it free,or are you paying for the spot ?
    Crime scene tape ?
    Wow !!

K1OIK likes this.
  6. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why go in a public park if you don't want the public? Use your backyard.

W4POT, KG5UN, KD1W and 9 others like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not a Field Day station.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I still have "Bio-Hazard" yellow tape left over from when they Sell It for All Hallows Eve. That would be more appropriate for our current times, hi hi.

I plan to be in a real field for a while this year, but I'll leave the Yellow tape at home. This year my truck will be supporting my antenna and I wont need to put yellow flags on any Guy/Radial wires. When I ran from the picnic table almost no-one ever asked what I was doing, I used to run that way about once a month for an hour or two for the fun of it.

Even with a mag loop on the picnic table once, only one person asked what the loop was.

Art

9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

No field for me, I'm working from the comfort of my home this year.
    Having done "real" field day most every year I'll join in using my home setup. I already know that I can use batteries or generator so that proves nothing at this time, and face it, in a real emergency a large amount of radio operating would be from a shack.
    1D for me.

W5ESE likes this.
  10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather than drawing attention to myself by acting like one of those odd "radio guys", I'm going to hike up one of the summits in my state and work SOTA and Field Day simultaneously.

Sheesh, crime scene tape and "do not talk to radio operator" signs. No wonder the public thinks we're weird.

Don't forget the safety vest and flashing amber lights!

Chris

KD1W, WE4B, N1VAU and 2 others like this.