A little off topic - looking for DTV antenna project

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AA7UF, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AA7UF

AA7UF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen some of the simple ones, like the coat hanger antenna (actually made one but used solid copper wire instead coat hanger wire [duh]).

My problem is I'm about 60 miles from the stations I'm interested in although I do have a hillside advantage.

Any suggestions for design??

2. AD2U

AD2U Ham Member QRZ Page

A multi-element Yagi as high as possible,for the UHF band

3. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah just a regular outside TV antenna, same as you would have used for analog. Chances are all your stations are back on their native channels now that the conversion is done (you can go to antennaweb.org to find out) so just get VHF/UHF or UHF only, whatever is indicated.

The famous coat hanger antenna is OK for local stuff but it's really just a UHF antenna and not a great one at that. I pick up ch. 7 from 45 miles away with rabbit ears and the coat hanger antenna won't pick it up at all. So, IMO even though they say it's good for high band I beg to differ.

And the fancy stuff they sell in the stores for DTV is pure hokum.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You mean I didn't really have to replace my old trusty analog TV antenna with one of those new high-fallutin' HD Ready DTV Antennas?? :confused:

But it says it's made for DTV right on the box! :eek:

........Bob <-------wonderin' how many actually did that!! :D

5. AC0GR

AC0GR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AD2U

AD2U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, you don't need to change the old trusty antenna :D:D:D

They put "HD Ready" there to eliminate any confusion for average consumers who might looking for a new antenna - "Hey, get this one - it IS HD reay".

7. AA7UF

AA7UF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks AC0GR!!

I was looking for links to some actual tested projects, and your link is a BIG help.

8. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah that's it, the Grey-Hoverman. Those were popular about 50 years ago. Not sure what the DTV part of the spectrum is but I guess the old boy was thinking ahead.

The one on the site that's made with a space blanket that hangs on the wall is really cool. Nice accent to that wood paneling - but 30 Lb. fishing line, what pikers. They should have suspended it by something more fitting to the whole theme. Some hemp rope macrame, perhaps.

9. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the early - mid 90's when I owned a computer store, I remember a batch of monitors, mice and computer cases that had big starburst "INTERNET READY!!" emblazoned on the box. I can't remember the manufacturer, but it was whatever company/corporate renameing that came after the "Reveal" brand.

Oh, thank God I can use this monitor on the internet!! And this computer case!!

I seem to remember some motherboards that even made this claim. See this glass??? HOLDS LIQUID!!

*EDIT* -- To keep on topic, this: http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/ can be built fairly quick and quite cheap. For an indoor antenna, it works quite well. I use this indoors, and like yourself, I'm about 60-75 miles away from Atlanta (where all my DTV stations are for the most part).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.