ad: vanity

A little common sense and respect?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WI4MM, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

During my venture into CW out of the radio amateur purest of the mode, was the desire to leave the SSB "Lid" operators. Lately, I have experienced the mostly "computer aided" , digital mode operators...and to a lesser extent CW operators not asking if the frequency is clear, ( mainly 40 / 75 m) with the station I'm having a qso with at 599, and the " Lid " at 599...no QRL nothing. Given the CW mode readability, I find it hard to believe that my station, or the one I'm having a qso with not being copied. So to the nub of it...listen and call if the frequency is clear 1st..I'm off my soap box, thanks.

de WI4MM ..

W5ESE, N2AMM, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, that's how it is sometimes. I understand an awful lot of stations are "alligators", meaning all mouth and no ears.

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't imagine that many digital mode operators would knowingly plant their signals on top of a CW station - it would be at least as disruptive to them as it is to you! They are simply unable to hear you for some reason...

Martin

KC3PBI likes this.
  4. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Having the volume turned up isn’t a requirement for digital operation. I normally have the sound off. So it is possible the digital op didn’t here you.

W5ESE likes this.
  5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

.....and a waterfall for a visual indication. Lack of need for audio isn't an excuse not to listen before jumping in and transmitting.

NG0L, W5ESE, AE8W and 3 others like this.
  6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I really enjoyed CW for about 44 years. And I'm not sure, but experiencing this may have been what tipped the scales over for me and caused me to quit CW about 6 months ago.

(This, along with trying to copy poorly sent code.)

K0UO likes this.
  7. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a CW OP that seems to step on QSOs ALL THE TIME with his CQ. Even when I hear his CQ on an open freq if I (or anyone else) comes back to him there is never a reply.

But…. If you look at this OPs RBN results he is dark green for all days on all bands. Basically, (IMO) he just sends or beacons on bands to get RBN results. Confusing…….

My wish….. just listen for a few seconds at least and throw out a “QRL?”

8. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

That must have been me. SRI. :)

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree it is confusing. What is/are RBN and RBN results? Do you happen to have a link to this information?

10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Reverse Beacon Network. In a nutshell, It's a network of receiving stations that report signal strengths of copied stations. You can use the data to see how well and where you are being picked up. http://www.reversebeacon.net

K3XR likes this.