A little advice.

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KC0KBH, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

What if we aren't going to get out of the hobby? I'm always one radio too short. Just like chainsaws. I have a large chainsaw, but I have my eye on a larger one. [​IMG]

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose this would be good advice if the young hams here were planning to drop outof the hobby. However, I would certainly hope that the hams here posting are not planning to drop out of the hobby.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never recommend a new ham to get ANY new equipment. I always recommend that they either resurrect an older radio or build...someone who's done this is MUCH less likely to drop out.

4. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

The only new radio I ever bought was the VX-7r. If you count all my commercial HT's, I've gotten over half my radios free. [​IMG] (10 or so commercial HT's in a box, for free). Big purchases were the VX-7r, FT-817, and IC-765. GAP Titan was free. [​IMG]

5. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an observation from an older fellow, it seems something has soured your outlook on amateur radio. I hope that it isn't permenant.

It sounds like you have had a bad experience, but don't let your own bad experiences ruin the fun for everyone else, because a lot of people get a lot of positive benefits from this hobby, and it is a much better avenue for a young person's interests than a lot of alternatives that I see kids getting involved with.

Just my 2 cents.

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Somehow I think we all missed his point. I see he has deleted the original post.

The guy seems to be going through a crisis. We all are extremely vulnerable at those times and have a tendancy to make rash decisions, My first divorce comes to mind.

I certainly wish him the best.

7. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

{random ramblings from an OF}

I missed the fellows original post but guess it didn’t miss much at all really.

I’ve known a few fellows like him in my life. They seem to think that whatever they are involved with is the cats meow and is truly the only thing anyone should be into.

Then one day the truth is revealed to them, whatever it was didn’t make them shock proof, bullet proof, water resistant, rich, or cute so they decide that anyone who is still into it is just dumb and vent their spleen on the world at large.

The invention of the internet has made this job much easier for them .

Of course you need to do whatever you are doing in moderation. It really doesn’t matter what it is if you let yourself get consumed by it, it is not a good thing.

Personally I wish I could put more time into some of the things I think are worth while but it generally takes money to be as involved in things as {fill in the blank} down the street, round the corner, across the country, or even around the world.

This breeds envy which is not usually a good thing.

Make peace with yourself and do your best with what you have and try to be happy with what you have.

8. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

I don't think beginners in any pursuit should blow the bank on the latest and greatest. Until you know for sure you and that pursuit are going to be together a while it's best to be conservative in your spending. Only real estate and guns are nearly certain to appreciate in value. Nearly everything else slides from day one.

Until the CB boom brought CBers and freebanders to the ham bands with their FT101's, it was a very rare occassion to hear a Novice on the air using a modern SSB type transceiver like an HW/SB101 or heaven forbid a KWM2/S-line. No, we Novices nearly all got our feet wet with the junk rigs left over from the 50s and 60s; you know, the rigs that are worth their weight in gold now.

Only upon upgrading to General did most of us upgrade our rigs too, and many like me didn't do it even then. As a General I ran a 1938 vintage Hammarlund recevier and a Globe HG303, two tube CW only transmitter for some time after I upgraded.

Once a ham upgraded to General, there was a reasonable likelihood the new General would stay the course and get his or her money's worth from a newer rig.

Now of course new rigs are cheaper and most new hams rush off to buy a new hand held. I think that's a mistake too but not for the same reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.