ad: MLSons-1

A Kiwi is attempting to build a world-wide network of SDR receivers.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1LPI, Mar 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1LPI

K1LPI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Once in place, this will allow anybody anywhere in the world to scan the 0 to 30MHz RF spectrum from the comfort of their HTML-5 web browser. Built on top of the Beaglebone, the "KiwiSDR" RF board also includes a GPS receiver front-end, which will allow timing between receivers to be correlated, giving a lot of options for projects like long baseline interferometry and lightning detection. Prototypes are already deployed, and RXing in Sweden, Australia and New Zealand. [The KiwiSDR design has been detailed on JKS.com, where there is a link to the project's Kickstarter page.]

Link to the article in Slash Dot dot Com
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/...a-global-network-of-open-source-sdr-receivers

VK3KZ and WM7C like this.
  2. W7LQB

W7LQB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an excellent radio, and I can't wait to get mine. If you have any interest in the internals or desire to experiment with SDR design, this would be the perfect development system for you. I suggest you try it out, and if you like it, support the project via KickStarter. 73's N6LQB

3. W8OTR

W8OTR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder if this could be used as a instant triangulation to find bad operators ?

K3RW likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo! Give that man a Kewpie Doll!

It is going to become much harder for QRM'ers to stay anonymous from other hams (The FCC has had the capability to know who they for years using both DF and transmitter characteristic 'fingerpringing').

W8OTR likes this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KD8JMQ

KD8JMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard this over and over but..... Until we see action it means notta. I certainly hope there is a "plan to action" in place as is rumored.
    Sorry, but; I have a "show me don't tell me" type mentality. Promises mean nothing, coming from nothing and sometimes producing nothing.
    OWL~

7. 4X1DA

4X1DA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't the WebSDR project at the University of Twente in The Netherlands come up with this idea a few years ago?

WebSDR now has 137 SDR receivers online from around the world and all of them can be from any manufacturer.
    Click on the link below to view all the receivers currently online. The first link is a 0-29.16 MHz receiver located in Holland.
    http://websdr.org/

8. KA0HCP

The only discussion is that it could conceivably be implemented, given the stated proposed SDR radios capability.

9. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see how it would be possible to track down a QRMer, unless he was the sole ham for 100 miles in every direction. You would get a general idea where he was but you are still gonna need 'boots on the ground' to pin down a particular address.

10. KA0HCP

Then you need to spend some time reading up on direction finding methods, particularly TDOA, Time Difference of Arrival, which we have implied.

11. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus, with GPS defined clocks, TDoA triangulation might actually get close...I'm continually surprised at how close lightning strikes are detected using this method (check out http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en) , lids ought to be only a little harder since they're usually (USUALLY, haha) not gigawatts of broadband noise.

W8OTR likes this.
  12. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Have done so. Awesome stuff. Wish it could be put to use.

13. KA0HCP

Signal strength is really irrelevant just as long as it can be heard at the receiving stations. Accuracy with TDOA is immensely better than with traditional beam finding since time can be measured in nanoseconds. whereas antenna beams error increases with range and beamwidth.

14. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

TDOA works best when the path length is consistent. This is often not the case when the ionosphere is involved.

Skip the SlashDot junk and go right to the actual project.

http://www.jks.com/KiwiSDR/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    W8OTR likes this.
  15. NV2K

NV2K Ham Member QRZ Page

<MATH TEACHER MODE>Apparently, "correlated" is the new most frequently misued word. "Compared" would be a good replacement.</MATH TEACHER MODE>