A history question:

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1NY, Apr 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Always".

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. N4UJ

N4UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. He appreciated the repair of his stereo receiver also!

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. N4UJ

N4UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Reply: Was at KG6AAY in the mid-fifties when I was in Jr. high school and dad was in Navy. Got my Novice call (WG6AHH) there in 1957. The club shack was a little green Quonset hut near the outdoor movie theater only about 1/4 mile from our house. Club had a BC-610, HQ-140X, and a Hallicrafters SR-500 integrated SSB station (SX-100, HT-30, HT-31 in a console). Antenna was a 6-element wide spaced Telerex. I think all that stuff may have been lost in the typhoon of 1962; then they built the little concrete building where my friend Joe Lawrence (a CT, held several calls, now SK) operated in the mid-sixties, when I was doing my /MM stint in the Med.....boy that was a long time ago!

K8BZ likes this.
  4. W6UHQ

W6UHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a young sailor stationed aboard the USS Iwo Jima, who was in dry dock at the Navy Base, Long Beach... Terminal Island? During my liberty hours, I would operate the Long Beach/Terminal Island Navy Station Ham Radio Station. I don't remember the call.. (Anyone remember. I thought that the base closed years ago.. but the web post here suggests that it or something was active as recent as 2020. I've been looking for that call for several years.) That was in 1971.. or 1972. I was RM2 and needed some radio action after a day of chipping paint, painting and doing other dry dock things, not as fun as ham radio.. I remember the station had the Drake Twins.... really fine stuff then. On the issue of operating from a ship....our OIC, Lee Hallman, a LTCDR at the time... W4BWR, knew that several of us were hams, and made darn sure we knew we could NOT operate!! Too bad.. I sure listened a lot. But, during Vietnam, all ham activity was forbidden as far as I heard. I also heard of guys who DID operate.... I'll never tell!! 73.
    Dennis/W6UHQ
    W6UHQ AT ARRL DOT NET

5. KC1NY

KC1NY Ham Member QRZ Page

The station call was WB6GUI. I operated the station 1974-1976. Had a Collins S-Line with Henry 2K. I recently found this website you might find interesting:

https://www.qsl.net/k0fb/wb6gui.html

I remember the Henry 2K being to the left of the operating desk. You could also walk up a flight of stairs and out onto the roof of the building. Great view of the harbor from there.

6. W6UHQ

W6UHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, thanks again for finding this call for me.. Im trying to warm up to that call... it sort of seems familiar.. it was 50 plus years ago!! ha...... im going to contact K0FB and pick his brain.. Im going to give you credit on my QRZ bio page for finding the call for me!!! Thanks again!!
    Dennis/W6UHQ

7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We ham a local ham here that is retired navy. He talked about being allowed to operate aboard while at sea. I will ask again about it.
    has been retired like 15 or 20 years.