ad: Alphaant-1

A history question:

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1NY, Apr 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without a specific citation we can't know if that was ever true or who might have ordered that. The ship, the squadron comander, the Task Group commander, the Vietnam theatre commander, CincWestPac, etc, etc, etc.

2. KS5N

KS5N Ham Member QRZ Page

I did a little bit when underway back in my USNR days aboard the USS Henley (DD-762) and plenty during my career as an engineering officer in the Merchant Marine.

3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't help but go to the web page link. I can only speak for KG6AAY from the US Naval Communications Station Guam. It was at a navy shore installation. I was stationed there from Dec 1972 to Mar 1976. This station was located in it's own small building on the base and had at least 2 operating positions, maybe 3, it's been a long time. For much of the time I was there, a sailor was assigned to the station as regular duty. They maintained the station and made it available for recreational use to licensed hams on the base, of which there were many. They also handled traffic on regular MARS teletype circuits.

Also, when I was receiving my initial A-School navy training at Cory Field, also know as the Naval Communications Training Center at that time, in Pensacola, FL my assigned watch duty station was at the base ham shack WA4ECY.

Ham radio messages the equivalent of modern day text messages. It was not unusual to originate a message from Guam to my family in Michigan and receive a reply 2 days later. Turn around time via US Mail might be 3 weeks and phone calls for anything other than an emergency were cost prohibitive and at times were not even possible.

I had a brother in law who was a CB at McMurdo Station in Antarctica in 1970. During the winter there was no mail service and no telephone service. They only way they had to get personal messages in and out was via ham radio or MARS. His youngest daughter was born while he was there and he received his first picture of her via ham radio slow scan TV.

I'm not aware of any ship board ham radio operation. That's not to say that there wasn't any. But I can't think of a better way to drive the communications security CT's crazy than to allow it on a ship underway in the western Pacific or South China Sea in the 1960's.

K0UO, KA0HCP and K1LKP like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you mind if I used your response (above) as a small "Amateur Radio History" article in my next club newsletter?

5. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

My previous comment was only about shipboard ops. When we were in port at NOB Norfolk or the shipyard in Portsmouth (Virginia), I operated their club stations. The club station at NAS Norfolk was really cool. I think the call sign was W4NCP but I can’t remember for sure after 50 years. It was located in an abandoned control tower at the old sea plane base. It was high above the air station and had an excellent view of the surrounding area. I would spend some weekends there (if I didn’t have the duty). At night, I would turn out all of the lights and operate various bands and nets with only the lights from the radio dials. This was when the EastCARS net was very popular (7255 KHz) and I was frequently net control. The only problem was that there was not a head (restroom) anywhere close by and I would have to walk about a quarter of a mile to use the head. The club station at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard was in a building with lots of room (and a head). Their call letters were W4RSS.
    Tom WA4ILH

6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't mind at all. Send me an email to k8bz@arrl.net and I'll reply with some additional info if you want.

7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Add'l info for your history-- Don't know if it's useful or not-- Ken Nokes, Navy-Marine Corps MARS

area manager for Mass.-RI, was also the Antarctic Net Coordinator from around 1969-1971 or so.

The vast majority of personal messages to/from home during the wintering-over season for both civilian and

military personnel on the Ice were passed on that circuit. Ken would be the Stateside operator for several nights

a week, on the air starting at 2 AM. Almost all traffic sent via 100 WPM radioteletype (100 WPM was at

that time illegal for hams, but this was MARS on military frequencies), usually just above 7300 kHz.

Google: " N0RYE Ken Nokes" and several entries down is a reprint from 73 magazine with a brief

letter of commendation from the Navy. Ken's MARS callsign was N0RYE (Back then, all 'N' calls were

military); he also held administrative Navy Mars callsign N0GAX and N0ICE which were,

Coordinator Massachusetts- R.I. and Manager, Antarctic Network, respectively. Don't remember Ken's ham

call, lived and died in Ipswich, Mass. on the North Shore of Boston. Really fine guy.

8. K4NYW

K4NYW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's my web page of Navy QSL cards - most of them are photos of cards offered for sale on eBay. I have concentrated on station cards and mostly excluded personal cards. But while searching on eBay I have seen many QSL cards for individual hams stationed shipboard. I don't know whether they were actually operating at sea or just using the ship as a return address. Some calls were /MM so I assume at sea.
    http://www.navy-radio.com/qsl/qsl-agr4-01.JPG
    http://www.navy-radio.com/qsl/qsl-dd829-01.JPG
    http://www.navy-radio.com/qsl/qsl-wasp.jpg
    http://www.navy-radio.com/qsl/qsl-boxer-01.jpg

best regards,
    Nick K4NYW

WA1GXC and KC1NY like this.
  9. N4UJ

N4UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Operated /MM under a previous call in the Med in the mid-60's both ssb and cw. Ran lots of phone patches including for the captain. Ship was a non-combatant, an AO. Also operated in ARRL Sweepstakes while anchored in the VI, giving out "West Indies" multiplier. Remember that I had to get authorization from OPNAV 94 for ham ops. Possibly fact that I was the lead ET with security clearance helped.

N4UJ

K0UO and KA4DPO like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably had to have the Captains permission also I would assume?