ad: chuckmartin

A History of The Radio Shack Weather Cube

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE5FNB, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KE5FNB

KE5FNB Ham Member QRZ Page

I bey you could tell some interesting stories about that!

I've written a couple of stories about rural life and weather radios, actually...

2. KE5FNB

KE5FNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your kind words...

AB2YC likes this.
  3. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Kaito EZ Weather KA101. Bought mine new off Amazon in 2017. Price was somewhere in the area of $19.99 IIRC. Got it shipped directly from Kaito USA's warehouse in California's Inland Empire. The EZ Weather is basically an updated Weatheradio Cube. It's round instead of square, made of black plastic, and has a big button in the center labeled with the "POWER" symbol common on PC's. One can scroll up the seven NOAA frequencies via a small button on the side of the big center button. There is a small thumbwheel on the side of the unit for volume. Runs on 3 AA cells. I use mine every day. A must have for NOAA Weather Radio geeks whose Realistic rigs are starting to die.

Also, there were at least two oddball variations on the Weatheradio. One was called a "Weatheradio Timekube" and played WWV/H on 5, 10, and 15 Mhz via a switch on the bottom alongside a switch for the three NOAA freqs in use in the late 70s. I've also seen a Weatheradio that had AM BCB and FM capability! Can't remember what it was called. And then there were variants such as the Alert series that came along when the SAME system came online. There was a desktop model that ran off AC power and which used the line cord as an antenna, something common on AM/FM clock radios of the day (mid 70s), and a pocket model with a strap.

4. W5LEM

W5LEM Ham Member QRZ Page

As opposed to a group period?

5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-3-30_8-11-48.png

Here's a later version sitting on my work desk.

6. AB3RI

AB3RI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice article. I remember I purchased on in the 1970's for my parents. Still worked when I cleaned out their house in 2010.

7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

For as much flak as Radio Shack took, some of their products were just solid. I have a number of the 2.5" mini amplified speakers that I used in a previous career. Plug a jumper into the aux input with a pair of clip leads and you now have a quick way to troubleshoot audio. And test for the presence of video. Easier than lugging around a telephone butt set, far easier to use because you don't have to hold it up to your ear while trying to work.

Used one of them a couple weekends ago troubleshooting a wiring problem on a SignalLink. The thing has to be 25 years old at this point.

Those little things saved my biscuits countless times.

8. AB3RI

AB3RI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, I used their mini-amplifier in my job as a telecom tech, as well. And, yes, for years, I've trusted the Radio Shack/Tandy corp for many, many things. Radios, stereos, speakers, electronic components, and my all-time favorite TRS-80 MDIII. Heck, I even bought my first cell phone from them in 1993...the Motorola bag phone.

KP4SX likes this.
  9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool article, thanks for sharing! This is one I bought sometime in the early 90's from radio shack.. RadioShackWeatherRadio.jpeg

SLOWMOVER and N2HUN like this.
  10. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey OM thanks for the nostalgic article about a beloved and popular Radio Shack product. Never had the 'cube version but the later (flatter) version was a staple of our household. Glad that these radios are still applicable today. Today's weather radios have many enhancements and their usefulness endures. I sure miss our local Radio Shack though.

Keep up the great articles.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020