A History of The Radio Shack Weather Cube

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE5FNB, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one on the windowsill of my office at HIPAS Observatory for years. I think it got bought at the auction after HIPAS was decommissioned.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I did just that as a teenager - a 2m modified Weathercube was in fact my very first 2m receiver. I paired it with a small 2m transmitter board that a friend gave me that was crystal controlled and paired the two together for "bicycle mobile" in the summer of 75 :)

EASY to convert - just change the main LC coil to lower coverage to 2m

Dave
    W7UUU

N2HUN and N1OOQ like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a similar unit, by Radio Shack, but it was portable, about the size and shape of a very small HT. Definitely not cube-shaped. It had a switch on the back to select one of three frequencies. It was silver-ish in color. I may still have it somewhere.

But I have so many other radios capable of recieving NOAA weather broadcasts these days that I don't want any more!

EDIT: Found my old radio on google. It was a Pocket Weatheradio 12-151A.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    N2HUN likes this.
  4. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

In my three years at RadioShack I sold exactly one of them - to my grandfather.

N2HUN and WJ4U like this.
  5. KE5FNB

KE5FNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for that awesome picture.

The only Weather Cube I own was made in 2011.

I did see one at a ham radio flea market back in 2017, but the battery door was missing so I didn't buy it...

6. KE5FNB

I have one of those as well. Mine was made in May of 1987...They are one of the better receivers as far as distance is concerned even though they don't get all seven weather channels...

7. KE5FNB

What years was that?

8. KE5FNB

Thank you in addition to being an amateur radio operator, I am also an amateur blogger!

9. KE5FNB

I wouldn't want to modify something like that, but if I did, it would be for railroad and marine, but to each his own!

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one of the cubes way back when that I tried to move, I think to the aircraft band. I was unsuccessful. Yes, I understood 'slope detection'.

W7UUU likes this.