ad: M2Ant-1

A Ham Radio Elmering Experience / Learning POTA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Mar 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think Elmering would involve showing proper radio educate , each one of us need to be reminded of that. For instances before transmitting select frequency you intend to be using, then listen for a minute or so to try and make sure if frequency is in use. Once you hear nothing, send out a QRL?, listen for response, if you do not hear anything send out another QRL?, if nothing then begin with your transmission.

There have been times I have been in a QSO with another OP and all of a sudden some one starts calling out Cq Cq Cq over the top of the operator I am copying, or were copying before the rude interruption.

A couple of things may have happened here, one, the interrupting operator may have hurried and set up their station and tuned in on the frequency that they have announced to be on of their choice and started to transmit with out sending out a QRL? after they lessened for a short bit.

Or in the excitement He or She may have been in a hurry and did not listen for any activity and started with their transmission, or they did tune to the frequency and they did listen for a bit and heard nothing, (Not hearing the other OP I was having a QSO with) so they thought they were good to go and started with their transmission not knowing they were interfering with a QSO.

Hay this happens, that is why it is important to listen a little longer and to be sure to send out a QRL? listen and send QRL? again.

If this operator would have sent out a QRL? I would have sent back a response which would made He or She know frequency was in use.

We have all heard op's just send ( ? ) meaning is this frequency in use, it is not a proper QRL? but most of us know what it means, I can except that, when their is a contest going on, during contest their is a lot of operator educate that is ignored, I am not condoning it but I have excepted it.

While contesting can be fun it is also a breading ground for improper amateur radio educate.

So we need to be reminded every once in a while of our manners, most of us are not Lid's but we need to be Elmer'd now and then.

2. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Obliviously, it's the pettiness that continues to elude the grammer police. In 1970s, it was fun to play on 27 Mhz.
    By 1980, the callsigns were unneccessary, as most who did not have them ignored the ones who did. Most late night radio thrill seekers had handles and did not care about Uncle Charlie and the Fruity Candy Company.
    Linear amplifiers were all the rage as good buddies duked it out for the loudest signal possible.
    This started many fires and smoked filled rooms with overblown amplifiers burning.
    Chances are that 10 meters is open right now......
    73 , not 73s.....