ad: ProAudio-1

A Great Way To Involve Kids In Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

nc7i writes "

During the spring of 2000, I turned on my HF rig during the WPX contest. I decided to work a few stations just for kicks. As I started working them, I found out that I was a multiplier for them since there are not many NC7 prefixes. I had a lot of fun, and added several new countries to my log. This casual contesting made me decide that a little more substantial effort might be fun.</p>

I decided that I would try the 2000 SSB sweepstakes. The sweepstakes was chosen because it involves contacting stations in the US and Canada (no third party traffic problems to worry about). I recruited my son KD7JWV (he was 8 at the time) to assist me. We read all of the rules, wrote up cue cards for the exchange, and learned how to do a paper log and paper dupe sheets. I had participated in a couple of field days and VHF/UHF contests when I was a teenager so I vaguely remembered all of this stuff.</p>

We checked out our antennas, and made a chart for the tuner. We set up the shack so we could both get to the radio and see the logs. We set an achievable goal of at least 100 contacts so we could get the pins (my kids love that kind of thing). As the contest started, I made the first 50 contacts while he watched. Then we shifted to he made 2, I made 2. That lasted for the next 20 or so contacts. It was his turn for 2, he took the mic and he didn’t give it back for about 100 contacts! He got hungry and left for a few hours but came back and would work a few every now and then.</p>

Our goal shifted from the 100 contacts to a clean sweep. One of the sections we needed was AZ (our home section at the time). We tuned around and hear a few, but couldn’t get them. Finally in the last hour of the contest, Travis got a guy in Phoenix. The thrill of the success was evident. We did not have tons of time to spend, since there were other family duties so we didn’t get the sweep. We came close with over 70 sections though. To top it off, we even got to see our entry in QST with both of our calls. More important to him was the pin. When the pins arrived, he was thrilled.</p>

The best part of it was the other operators. I think our success rate was much higher when he was on the air. All of the operators were extremely patient in getting the exchange from a kid. Most had a kind word or two for him after the exchange. You could tell in their voices that they were happy to hear him on the air. He even worked K1ZZ (ARRL Executive VP) and Travis thought it was cool when I showed him who that was in a QST issue.</p>

This year we tried again. Our goal going in was at least 100 contacts and maybe a clean sweep. My planning was not as good, and we had even less time due to family events, but we did get on the air. This year my 5 year old helped too. He really liked giving the exchanges, and did ok. Even my 3-year-old son now walks around saying “November Charlie Seven India”. It won’t be long till he gets in on the action too. Like last year, all of the operators who worked my kids were great. (Thank you!) We did make one major improvement. We added the use of logging software for the contest (Thanks N1MM).</p>

Events like kids day are great, but some kids get mic shy and the format is loose to encourage conversation. My kids do better with the fixed exchange of a contest. It gets them used to talking on the radio. If you have kids, maybe a contest would be a good way to involve them in your hobby. We still do kids day, but we will be back next year for SSB sweepstakes. Maybe next year we will get the clean sweep (and the mugs too)!</p>

73 - Norm NC7I
    </p>"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.