A giant is coming home.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was given the BC1-T that became my dedicated 160m transmitter, the deal was that I would remove every trace of it from the premises, including any spare parts. I couldn't get it out the front door of the transmitter building because they had installed the new transmitter just in a spot that blockaded the door by about 6 inches. I was thinking I would have to get some sheet metal blades for my skillsaw and cut the cabinet into pieces after stripping it down inside. Then I noticed a service entrance in the back, measured the door width, and saw that it would fit through the space with less than 1/4" to spare, with all iron, tubes, front door, ventilation grille and side panel removed.

I brought a helper with me, but it took more than the two of us to move the transmitter out the door horizontally. Eventually the station manager and DJ on duty pitched in and the four of us got it out. Once the transmitter was out the back door, it had to be lifted over a diesel generator that was mounted on a concrete pad right outside the door, with a lot of sharp angle iron stock. We managed to lift it out the door and over the generator and into my truck without any injuries. Naturally, it was a hot June day, about 90° and close to equal percentage of humidity.

I understood why they were so willing to give me the transmitter if I promised to get it out of there. I suspect they had already approached more than one other before me, who either couldn't do it, or declined after looking over the situation.

N6YW likes this.
  2. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

49C8F199-8BF1-4434-B7CA-A0D0DB5D9839.jpeg 0D158EDD-31BF-4543-A1FF-97079DBD92F8.jpeg A nice pair...
    The BTA-250L now resides next to its brother,
    20V-2. The journey continues, and hello 160 meters!

W1TRY and W2NBC like this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Will be listening for you. I have already fired up the Gates/Raytheon hybrid and made a couple of contacts on 1885 the past week or so, although both 160 and 75 are still surprisingly devoid of signals (both AM and SSB) for this far into the autumn season.

N6YW likes this.
  4. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It's going to take some time and while it's been modified to run on 160, some enhancements
    need to be made to properly remote control the 250. No biggie, just some advance thinkng
    to insure it behaves with the receiver(s). For now, the inverted L is the antenna of choice and
    because I already have radials laid out for it.
    I am finally going to be on 160 meters from home, which is something I've never been able to
    do before moving to Tucson.
    Life is getting grand-er every day!

K6RBK and (deleted member) like this.