ad: w5yi

A giant is coming home.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

My great-Grandfather worked for the Pennsylvania Rail Road. I never knew him, but my Grandfather said his dad referred to locomotives by their engine number. Keeping up the tradition, my family always called their cars by their model year. I still have the only car he ever bought brand new. We have always called it "The '64." We usually take it to the cemetery to pay respects. I think the big industrial sense with a BC xmtr is like an old locomotive, so "The 300-G" it's always been.

Attached Files:

N6YW and W8KHK like this.
  2. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Would love to hear some Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, and maybe a bit of Jimmy Buffet when you do your frequency sweep test with the stringed oscillator.

K0UO, WZ5Q and N6YW like this.
  3. W8KHK

My dad always had chevys. Since there were always two (his and hers), he referred to them by number, the 41, 47, 51, 61, etc. You brought back some memories! The 41 and 47 looked almost identical, as there were virtually no body style changes in the war years. The 47 ended up being my first car, and that was my birth year!

N6YW likes this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Atkins and Hendrix make a good combo!:cool:

The last RCA transmitter I worked on was the BTA-1R1 where the cabinet design went to a more square shape and was quite boring in my view. Good transmitter with excellent audio and still putting out 1kW in that small Kansas town.

Has anyone ever noticed that the art-deco theme of these old transmitters seemed to duplicate some of the old theater marquees?

Pheel

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    K0UO and W8KHK like this.
  5. W8KHK

For the younger folks who may be wondering about the name "Big Nipper", a bit of RCA history about "little nipper":

The Little Nipper series was an RCA Victor series of records aimed at children first issued in 1944 on 78RPM, and then on 45 RPM in the 1950s. (from Wikipedia)

I grew up listening to those 78's, then the 45's.....

RCAnipper.JPG
    LittleNipper.JPG
    And I thought that Raytheon in Iowa was BIG!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  6. W7TFO

W7TFO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That BTA-250 is less than half the size of a RA-1000...

73DG

W8KHK and N6YW like this.
  7. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I wonder if there is another low wattage unit that’s as heavy and large as the 250L.
    For those who have never seen the interior of the
    BT-250L, you’re in for a treat. The layout and components are superb. It’s a testament to skill and attention to detail. The person who did the repair and modifications, Hank KB7OCY is second to none. His skill set is astonishing. I will be uploading a bunch of photos on the work he did and it will surely get your attention. I promise!

W1TRY, AC0OB and W8KHK like this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The image and name date back to 1899.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Master's_Voice

N2EY likes this.
  9. K0ARA

K0ARA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    N6YW likes this.
  10. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page