A giant is coming home.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

75052975-3551-4FE5-B58F-971D351F9AAA.jpeg As of Thursday, the giant is coming home.
    Arguably the heaviest 250 watt transmitter I know of and nearly 7 feet tall @1350 lbs, the much coveted RCA BT-250L as completely internally restored and modified for 160 meters will be in the transmitter roost at N6YW.
    It will be paired up with an RCA AR-88 receiver.
    Absolutely beautiful. Thankfully it’s on wheels.

I’ll post a travel log about the trip afterwards.

Attached Files:

K6RBK, K0UO, KD0DQZ and 7 others like this.
  2. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a beast! Way cool! Congrats!

N6YW likes this.
  3. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Putting new meaning to the phrase boat anchor ;)

K0UO and N6YW like this.
  4. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was wondering how long the old girl would languish in the 'Transmitter Twilight Zone' before it got to yer place...

73DG

Crazy, too, that it runs on 120V.

W8KHK and N6YW like this.
  5. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Very pretty. Always loved the RCA art-deco theme. At 250 watts, a sheep in wolves clothing? Going for the most pounds-per-watt in the next rally? Looks like a "ten meter" rig to me. At 250 watts, perfect as a QRP Tall Ship net control!

With something that classy, you must come up with a catchy name for her.

I hope the seven foot height is not a problem for you. I recall when an RCA BTA-1MX followed me home, it was too tall to stand upright in the downstairs radio room. I finished off a 16' x 16' room with plastered ceiling in the basement. The rig would fit in the room, but of course would not make it through the doorway upright. And to stand it up, the diagonal measurement was just too long to stand it up in the radio room. I used a come-along to raise it in the open area of the basement, with the diagonal fitting nicely between the upstairs floor joists. I thought of cutting down the height to get it into the radio room, but that would be so sacrilegious!

Wishing you a safe move!

K0UO and N6YW like this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

RCA made their BC transmitters tall. I remember once when servicing a RCA 250-watter for a small daytime BC station, a rig running a pair of 813s modulated by another pair of 813s, their transmitter building was a repurposed mobile home. The transmitter was way too tall for that house trailer, so they had cut a rectangular hole in the roof and built a little shelter extension like a widow's watch on top to accommodate the cabinet, which stuck up through the hole. One could open the doors OK to get to the insides to work on the transmitter, but you had to peek up through the hole in the ceiling to read the meters, which was difficult because you were looking at them from below at a steep angle.

KC8YLT, KD0DQZ, WA3VJB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Billy; I think that rig may have the same mod. iron as my 3-400 rig. Imagine telling the plastic radio crowd that [my] gear is all RCA. What? Heads exploding.
    What's wrong with calling it a BTA-250? I don't get this thing with having to have a name for a transmitter. Don't take this personally! I'm not trying to insult anyone!

K4KYV and N6YW like this.
  8. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I always though the term 'Master Cylinder' was nice and ominous!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

AC8UN likes this.
  9. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing personal, and I respect your point of view. Instead of saying "Must", perhaps I should have said Billy "might" want to name his new transmitter. Referring to it as a BTA-250 is perfectly fine. If it were me, I would probably christen it "Big Nipper", as it will make some beautiful music. (Young folks may not get the connection.) Before connecting the antenna, perhaps he can strap into a dummy load, and entrap some sound bytes to share while he fondly caresses that beautiful guitar. Then we will all know whether he leans toward Chet Atkins, or Jimi Hendrix, or possibly somewhere in between???

AC8UN and N6YW like this.
  10. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I love your sense of sentiment.
    The Big Nipper is an awesome name!!!!
    By the way, I play both Chet Atkins and Jimi Hendrix among others.
    I appreciate your postings, all of you.

AC8UN, W8KHK and WA3VJB like this.