ad: LZQSLprint-1

A Fully-Automatic RotoBug

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by AE2EA, Sep 10, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE2EA

AE2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fully-automatic bugs are quite scarce. Those that do exist, like the Melehan Valiant and the GHD bug, are beautiful pieces of machinery, but they are rather difficult to adjust, since the dot and dash elements are each generated by their own separate pendulum.

Antique Wireless Association Member Rich Meiss, WB9LPU, set out to design a system in which both dots and dashes were made by the same oscillating pendulum. This would permit speed to be varied over a wide range without affecting the ratio of dot-to-dash duration, but it could also allow independent adjustment of the relative weights of the elements. The result of some recent experiments has led to this rotary bug of original design. Rich recently donated many of his unique keys for a display at the Antique Wireless Museum in Bloomfield, NY.

73 de AE2EA

PY2NEA and KL7KN like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy smokes!

Thanks for posting the video. Very Steampunk looking IMO.

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why have I never seen this before? I would really like to get my hands on one of these!

4. AE2EA

AE2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, there's only one...

5. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:(

If one were to visit the museum, do they allow 'hands on' ? Or is it a "No Touch" display?