ad: M2Ant-1

A FT4 Strangeness ...

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K7GQ, Nov 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using FT4 for some time now, and in operating from the EU just now, but I'm experiencing something I've not seen before, namely that after a CQ'ing station responds to my call, my side sits for a full 15 seconds before replying with the next message, rather than in the next 7-second time frame interval. This makes about half of the stations I initially connect with - go on to someone else thinking that I've faded away.

I'm getting the impression that WSJT-X doesn't always set the odd/even cycle check correctly.

Ideas?

2. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Computerized ham radio isn't perfect, regardless of the implementation of the computer. Pick up a mic and call CQ instead?

3. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You haven't worked me on phone, far from perfect. ;)

4. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check your computer clock is still syncing with whatever source you choose.

There is a registry hack for Windows that makes the computer sync up daily, I guess weekly is the default.

That's my 1 idea.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Dim4, install it and never have to adjust your clock again

K4AGO likes this.
  6. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't think this is a clock issue. I have the same thing happen once in a while. Have checked the clock when it happens and hasn't been off by more than a half-second.

I can't make it appear at will, and will often go days without seeing it and it will suddenly pop up once, then go back to normal for days or weeks to come.

May not have any bearing, but running a "minimal" station here. Older dual-core AMD at 3 GHz with only 4G RAM over USB cable to IC-7200. Still, it doesn't overtax the CPU or RAM. I just can't play "Hunt the Wumpus" while I operate!

Dave - KB3MOW

7. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it's a clock issue either. The time differentials are all around 0.0 to 0.2 simply listening to other stations.

I have two examples, one normal and the other exhibiting the "weirdness". The normal QSO completes in what appears to be 28 seconds as below:

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 06.38.45 AM.png

The weird QSO starts out poorly with two different transmissions occuring at the same time (how can that happen?), which seems too throw the entire QSO off. Notice the 22 second response gap when my first "R-03" is sent.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 10.15.26 AM.png

My transmission at the time 101415 was "forced" by clicking the odd/even transmit cycle - to "force" a conclusion to this QSO that appeared to be hung.

8. WB9QVY

WB9QVY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen this and can reproduce it. It ONLY occurs for me when the TX Even/1st box is checked.
    I started a thread on it some time ago... Wsjt-x 2.1 oddity.

If you watch you can see the software actually uncheck the TX Even/1st box and then miss
    sending in the appropriate slot. I then have to hurriedly recheck the box so the QSO can proceed.

WB9QVY