A FT-950 in my future

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AC0FP, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member QRZ Page

The 6 pin din connector's audio input line will only trigger the vox when the radio is in packet mode. If you are not using hardware ptt, and are using vox for ptt the radio has to be in packet mode.

I always run in USB packet mode for digital modes on all bands, because in USB mode, the frequency of my transmitted signal is going to be the dial frequency plus the audio frequency of the audio signals. In lsb mode, it would be the dial frequency minus the audio frequency, and I find that unnatural.

2. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like I will be trying PSK31 this evening while in the "packet" mode. I have the test equipment to confirm proper modulation waveforms for PSK31.

fp

3. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be listening on 40 tonite. Hope to hear you.
    Bill

4. AC0FP

Hi Bill,

I didn't get things running correctly until today. I selected packet mode and I did get the transmitter to work but the radio is locked into LSB regardless of frequency when in the packet mode, likewise the receive waterfall doesn't match what I'm used to and I couldn't receive any signals. I got the commuter levels all set while in the packet mode but then decided to go back to the SSB mode. Now the receiver works just fine and its in USB mode on 14.070 and the waterfall display looks normal. I tried transmit and it now works good in the SSB mode, just the way I was trying to set it up before. I must of set something correctly that caused PSK to start working in the SSB the way it should triggered by the VOX. It appears that the settings for data levels made in the "packet" mode have carried over to work in the SSB mode also.

fp

5. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member QRZ Page

The radio is probably not really stuck in lsb pkt mode. When in pkt mode, to change from lsb to usb, you have to push and hold the "RTTY/PKT" button until the mode changes from lsb to usb. It isn't obvious.

I prefer running psk-31 in the pkt mode, because I can use very narrow filter widths. The received noise power depends on the bandwidth, so by minimizing the bandwidth, you can cut down the noise, and uncover signals that were buried in noise with a larger bandwidth. Thermal noise is k * T * B, so cutting down on B cuts down on noise. Setting the bandwidth to "NAR" for narrow, you can cut the dsp bandwidth down to 100 hz.

Bill

6. AC0FP

I forgot about holding the mode button down for awhile to change from LSB to USB. I'm not known for my patience. I understand what your saying about the data mode operating inherently in a narrower bandwidth. I found I could reduce the bandwidth, using DSP, pretty well using the SSB mode also.

fp :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.