A few words of advice.

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by W8LBO, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W8LBO

W8LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great evening,
    Just figured I’d drop a line before I sign off. As has been pointed out, I’m just a wet blanket on this site. Always have, always will be I guess. Now that I’m completely out amateur radio I don’t belong here at all. But I’ve got to say a few things before I go.
    Never let the radio get in the way of the time you spend with your family. (I sure wish I had followed this rule more). Never let it find a place in your life above sweeping the floor and taking out the trash. (Again, very important.) Chores are way more important than ham radio time. Way more important. Always keep it in the place of a hobby. This whole thing about it being a service and educational had me fooled for so long……………………………… I held a false importance for it in my life. I know, I was really gullible, but everyone told me the same thing. And also, don’t worry about impressing people too much. All this about hams being super-human is really hilarity at its finest. There are a lot of great people on there, but as to being any better than your average person, that is doubtful. After all, I’m a ham myself.
    So anyway, I’m going to sign out here. It’s good to have that off my chest. The hobby has the potential to be something great for you. Just keep your priorities of God and family first, WAY FIRST, and you should do fine.
    Have an awesome life.
    Timothy

2. KC9HJX

KC9HJX Guest

My girlfriend included will always be above it, she knows it, and so do I. [​IMG]

3. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Those should come before anything:

God
    Family
    Job
    Hobby

I put my hobbies as fourth. If your tretired and have no job or family and your and athiest then prehaps ham radio is 'all there is' Not so with younger guys like me [​IMG]

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever happened to the saying "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"?

Why exactly are you tossing this hobby out?

What else are you purging yourself from?

Take a really deep breath and relax. Sounds to me like you are going through a major crisis.

Best wishes. Hope things improve.

5. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to obsess over various aspects of the hobby. I love QRP! What a blast! I also love 20m PSK. But, my primary thing I really enjoy with ham radio-
    Pagers!!! I love pagers! I am almost done with setting up a UHF ham radio severe weather alert text paging system. I've got a box of 50 Motorola 450 MHz pagers. I've also got a pager with no service, but it gets weather updates. I think pagers are about the coolest little gadgets. I honestly don't think anyone could ever get bored with the hobby, if they are into ham radio. There are so many different aspects of it. [​IMG]

6. K6PME

K6PME Ham Member QRZ Page

So how does a /\/\otorola minitor III rank in the pager world? It's my FD issued one. (154.355) It's works but thats about all I know about it.

7. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't mess around with two tone. I like digital paging. Minitor III is a nice pager, though, in my opinion. [​IMG]

8. K7ALY

K7ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

As my father once told me, "There are only two things in your life that you should take seriously- your marriage and your career, in that order." Ham radio falls in the "other" category, just like any other hobby, so don't let it get in the way of your priorities.

All that aside, marriage and job can't take up ALL of your time. Have fun!

9. W8LBO

W8LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I'm back. Never said I was leaving, just said I was signing off. HA! So now I know everyone's true colors. Bwahahahah. Just kidding. Naw, I was bored so I figured I check out what was new.
    AB8MA, thanks for the friendly posts there. I didn't have a big crisis, though I think I was a little depressed when I wrote it. Wait a second, I don't get depressed. It must have been something else. [​IMG]
    I probably won't be posting too much, but you know, it's kind of a cool forum.
    Timote

10. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.