A few things off my chest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 2E0GLN, May 22, 2020 at 8:31 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All these complaints! What's a fellow to do?!?

Ignore it. This one time I have to agree with Burt: nothing on ham radio or ham radio sites is important enough to get all upset about. It's just a passing annoyance, nothing more, and it will pass.

WA1GXC and K1OIK like this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WN1MB likes this.
  3. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

A fair changeover point, Burt, but we do have a few 42C days here in Perth .
    Out on the highway, as you head North, all bets are off.

I had a car breakdown out in the middle of the "Never-Never" with the ambient temperature at 46C.
    Not nice, --------one moment, you are sailing happily along with the aircond keeping you at a nice 23C, then suddenly, you are out in what feels like an oven.

It takes a while to get your hot weather "mojo" back!

WN1MB and K1OIK like this.
  4. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree. You could move over a thousand miles in some call zones and not have to change your call. But, depending on where you live, you could move five miles and have to change your call.

I don't want to have to change my callsign just because my job transferred me to a different state.

5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuna Fish. Shrimp Scampi.

DuBois Idaho. DuBois Pennsylvania.

Semi-automatic Bug.

Amateur Radio HAMS

WN1MB and N5PAR like this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't find 'contact' or 'communication' defined in part 97. It seems like every time this subject matter is brought up, in part it's because someone gets all wrapped around the axle over having to wait a few transmission before someone working a pile up sends their ID. Or basically because the highly desirable station working a pile up that I want to contact is not making contacts in the manner I want them to make contacts.

A station operating under US rules, part 97 needs to ID every 10 minutes and at the end of communications, whether it's with an individual, a group or a pile up. I think FCC precedent would indicate that's their take on this rule also.

I heard a very desirable DX station working a pile up using split frequencies. The DX station was identifying every couple of minutes, far more often than every 10 minutes. Someone worked the DX station but didn't know the callsign of the DX station that acknowledged him. He then went to the DX station's transmit frequency and started begging for someone to tell him who the DX station is because he worked him and didn't get his call. More than once when he complaining that he didn't get the DX station's call, the DX station identified, but he couldn't hear it because he was too busy causing QRM for others.

W0FS likes this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WX here is very nice. Temp is 284.261 K
    73 K8BZ

WN1MB, N1YR and KU4X like this.
  8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

79F. = 538R.

KU4X likes this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I don't get it. Are we complaining now about things that never happen?

KD8OSD likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s the old trick - obfuscate when you can’t admit a mistake

W5LEM likes this.