ad: Alphaant-1

A few random questions before I raise the mast tomorrow

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI5OMM, Sep 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tomorrow I am finally erecting my new hex beam antenna and I have a few short questions;

Is it ok to zip tie the coax directly to the metal mast pipe? I'm trying to keep things neat and tidy and from flapping in the wind.

Since my rotor is close to ground level and the whole mast turns, what would be a good way to ground the mast to a grounding rod? I suppose I could just leave enough slack in the grounding wire to accommodate the turn radius?

Finally, is it ok to run the rotor control cable in the same conduit as the antenna coax? I do plan on running up to a thousand watts occasionally and around 500 watts often. I am unsure if RF would be a problem with the rotor cable. The total run to the shack is 100 feet.

I built a wooden tilt over mast support. The total height to the top of the metal mast is 35 feet. As soon as I get things in place and cleaned up I will post up some photos.

Thanks in advance folks!

AK5B likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you should be fine on all points above; you might want to place some ferrite chokes on your feedpoint as well as on the rotor cable in advance of installation to be on the safe side (FT240-31 with about a dozen to 14 turns of RG-400 is very good at all HF frequencies for stopping common mode current).

Enjoy1

Jeff (down the road in Rockport)

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the Zip ties you buy. The cheap ones last less than 6 weeks in the Az sun...

I use black Vinyl 3M quality electrical tape to fix coax to masts, towers, and booms. If you learn to "stretch-as-you-go", it resists sun and is permanent.

AK5B likes this.
  4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't pull the zip-tie too tight. It will start to crush the coax.

5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Even black UV zip ties will give in the weather. Good electrical tape will last longer.

If wonder if the mast is properly clamped to the rotor, could you just ground the rotor? Otherwise, if you do as you say, just make sure your ground wire is flexible enough to tape repeated movement. (maybe braid???)

Okay on rotor cable & coax run together.

No expert here... As always, your mileage may vary. :)