ad: vanity

A eureka moment. Understanding isn't knowing.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

yes. this.

the likelihood of a wavefront diffracting power around an obstruction is directly related to the polarization of the wave AND the physical attributes of the obstruction. a vertical wave will diffract more power when it meets a vertical obstruction. a horizontal wave will diffract more power when it meets a horizontal obstruction.

and horizontal obstructions are everywhere. the horizon is much much closer than most people are willing to admit.

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

When you can talk 22 miles, get back to me.

Rege

2m VUCC

Best 5760 mhz dx 312 miles

:)

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We routinely work the repeaters on the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan, and vicey versy. That's about 80 miles. One summer afternoon we worked the Sheboygan, WI repeater from Muskegon, MI using an HT.

My best simplex on 2m was only 169 miles. That was FM, 50 watts using a roof mounted vertical.

4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you mean trip ducting when you say tropo scatter I'll accept your claim.

But if you honestly believe you worked tropo scatter using ham power and ham antennas I've got some beachfront spectrum to sell you. That circuit simply isn't viable.

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did, and found that tropo scatter would never occur on 2 meters as we use it. From Wiki:

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall a book about that problem "Lost Horizons".

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. K8ERV

Diffraction, Reflection, and Obfuscation are all important.

Wetting the string helps too------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. K8ERV

Are you the guy who writes all the price tags?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My best DX on 2-meter FM was Managua, Nicaragua, from Richardson, Texas, on the north side of Dallas. Transmitter was running 60-watts into stacked yagis (total of 22-elements) at 67-feet above ground fed with 1/2-inch Heliax. The tower is located 1/2-block from the highest point in the City of Richardson. Definitely was tropospheric ducting.

Glen, K9STH

10. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking about this too, so I went looking for online maps.... Found this site: http://www.mapdevelopers.com/elevation_calculator.php
    Last marker elevation as well as a bar graph under it displaying elevation between the marked points.

This is why with my HT on high power (4W) from one point in town I can reach 25 miles simplex (southwest), yet from my house I cannot reach the repeater 5 miles away. I checked the link above as to why I couldn't do the same simplex 25 miles to the ENE, and it seems there is a hill around 175ft approx. 12 miles away, meaning I cannot get a signal above it without building a 150 ft tower (out of my budget).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.