ad: vanity

A DS1216C SMARTWATCH IN A AEA PACKRATT 232 MBX

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K8MOT, Jun 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8MOT

K8MOT Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello
    Has anyone out there added a DS1216C Smartwatch chip to a AEA PACKRATT 232 MBX DECODER.
    I have installed it properly and powered it up with no problem, however i cannot make it work as a
    replacement clock source. I can set the normal clock with the daytime command, but it will not display the time and date since i added the chip. I have downloaded all the info i could find, but no easy way of accessing the chip. They keep talking about a 64 bit word to be sent to the chip. Is there a command i am not aware of or is there a way to send this 64 bit sequence it is looking for ?
    Please answer here or at k8mot@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for any help

jim K8MOT (good on QRZ.COM)

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

FRESHNESS SEAL
    Each DS1216 is shipped from Maxim with its lithium energy source disconnected, ensuring full energy capacity. When VCC is first applied at a level greater than the lithium energy source -- it is enabled for battery- backup operation.

Maxim DS1216C Smartwatch Datasheet
    ("DS" - Dallas Semiconductor that Maxim acquired several years ago).
    http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1216-DS1216H.pdf

3. K8MOT

Thanks, I read that. It did not stop the unit, but I cannot set the time on the new chip. They say the registers have to be sent a 64 bit sequence to set the time and take over as the system clock source. Will doing the daytime command with date and time perimeters actually set the DS1216C ? DAYTIME 170618120000 is the sequence I use to set the normal clock. I tried that but when I powered down then back on I had lost the date/time setting. The whole deal was to not have to set the date/time every time I power up. Thanks for the interest.
    Jim K8MOT

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim -

That is a function of the FIRMWARE version (EEPROMs) for the PK-232 Z80 u-processor.

Suggest you contact Randy Gawtry at Timewave concerning
    DAYTIME command ("bug" in earlier eproms?)
    https://timewave.com/

greg

5. K8MOT

Thank you very much for the information Greg, I will do that.

Thanks for spending your time to help me !

Jim K8MOT 73