ad: MyersEng-1

A DIY Linked Dipole Antenna - just in time for ARRL Field Day!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Jun 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Developing a linked dipole antenna.

An antenna that I keep hearing about from SOTA operators & POTA operators!

Easy to deploy. Lightweight. And can be easily made from materials you might have lying around! Just in time for ARRL field day. Hope to hear plenty of folks on the air this year, June 24-25, 2017.

Thanks for watching!

K5ACL

N5TYD, YO4FKO, K5JM and 4 others like this.
  2. MM6ECO

MM6ECO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for putting the field day dates online! Remember to point your basic antennae over to the British isles. I`ll be happy to use a homebrew longwire made in the same way or even end fed that weekend too and hope to make contact with all those young people as well on the radio....

Best wishes for your ARRL field day!

W5KV likes this.
  3. W5KV

Thanks! Same to you.. Last year was an absolute blast! Our club is planning on using nothing but battery power this year so it should be interesting! 73

N7LGJ likes this.
  4. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good YT video. Yep, Field Day weekend I'll be camping and operating mobile. Hope to work lots of stations.

WB5THT and W5KV like this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan on doing six meters on Field Day.....first time ever! (No, not my first FIELD DAY ever....just the first on 6!
    )

K3SX, W5KV and AK5B like this.
  6. W5KV

I hear there is quite a bit of 6m activity during the June VHF contest this weekend too!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the June VHF Contest this weekend (June 10-12) and the SMIRK 6-Meter Contest next weekend (17-18), too.

W5KV likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgot all about the SMIRK contest. SMIRK was founded while I was still a Novice. Never got to operate six then. :(

W5KV likes this.
  9. AJ5F

AJ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using a linked dipole for 40/75 meters successfully for many years. My center insulator is very similar to the one in the video. Test lead clips work better than Power Pole connectors IMHO. I use egg insulators rather than plexiglas. The 40 is resonate on 15 meters (at 3 λ) and the 75 is resonate on 10 meters (sometime a tuner is necessary) at 7 λ. A quick an easy 4-band antenna if you don't change bands that often.

W5KV likes this.
  10. NH6MA

NH6MA Ham Member QRZ Page

nice!

W5KV likes this.
  11. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

very nice and explained very well. I might try this. Thanks

W5KV likes this.