A college course about a ham rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I still enjoy studying them at age 68.

XYL considers looking okay.:)

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Behold the Heathkit Twoer. We shall now delve into its complex circuitry...":)

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Might have better luck presenting it as a History Course for extra credit. Be an easier sell to administration.

K2CAJ likes this.
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not an amateur astronomer, hooked on 'faint fuzzies', I guess. Have you ever heard of the technique called 'averted vision'?:D:D:D:D

Another QRZed thread, but that is OK.:rolleyes:

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How to operate a piece of amateur radio equipment, as a college course, is ridiculous. Now, there are some colleges, often community colleges, that do offer amateur radio licensing courses as "continuing education".

As for the "quality" of students today: "It depends"! Way too many of the under 25 crowd have absolutely no desire to really learn anything. Unfortunately, a significant number of high school students are in school only because of state mandated age requirements where those under, generally, 16 years old, must attend. Those "students" disrupt classes, don't want to really learn anything, etc. much to the chagrin of those students who really want to get an education. In some schools, teachers no longer really teach but have almost become "babysitters".

Next, there is the concept that so long as a student "feels good" about themselves, it doesn't matter if they correctly answer questions on a test. Students are often no longer failed because this might hurt their self esteem. Participation trophies are given to everyone because no one is to be recognized as being "better" than anyone else.

I do live about a mile from what has become a major university where science is involved, the University of Texas at Dallas (really in Richardson, Texas, and mostly in Collin County, not Dallas County) and about 3-miles from a 4-year college. The students at UTD are, for the most part, there to get a good education. As for the other institution, some students are there to get an education while others are there just to get some diploma just to hang on the wall.

My eldest daughter's husband is a college professor (teaches anatomy and biology). He has all sorts of tales about the quality of students. Basically, some students really want to learn while others shouldn't be anywhere near a college campus! My middle daughter teaches lower elementary grades. Fortunately, she gets the students before they have really learned a lot of bad habits.

Glen, K9STH

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe go major in MacBooks someplace. And a minor in English Comp wouldn’t hurt.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now granted I have been working outdoors in the hot sun and its 40 deg C here currently and I might be suffering from heat stroke, but there might be something in this idea. Not from an operators point of view, a monkey can be trained to operate a radio, but at a fundamental level of how radio works. Taking someone on a journey from The Joy of Oscillation thought filters, amplifiers, mixers to how a signal goes from A to B and back again via different modes and different bands, might actually be a very interesting subject for first year EE students as a teaser into RF.

Demystifying Black Boxes 101

N2EY likes this.
  8. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Up to the part beginning with propagation, I believe EEs already learn that stuff. I was surprised that my son, who is a fairly recent EE, learned about Colpitts and Hartley oscillators in college. But then, I’m only surprised because I don’t know any better. I’m a ME. :D

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did anyone else use the Student Machine Shop to make a sheet metal enclosure for a radio? I recall using a Di-Arco floor punch in the early 1980s. I built a 30M transceiver, as that was a new band back then.

Zak W1VT

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a "Machine Shop?":confused::(

Our HS didn't even teach typing because they said "your secretary will do that.":mad::rolleyes: I guess the possibility of e-mail, etc. never entered their closed little minds.:( What lawyer, doctor, etc. doesn't text or send their own e-mail? (OK, doctors when NOT writing a Rx.:rolleyes:)