A college course about a ham rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quantifiable given the curriculum and the student's performance. What did you think I was talking about? The engineering curriculum isn't like English or fine arts; it's pretty easy to tell how a student has performed given what is required for the discipline, and how that performance stacks up against, say, the class of 73.

I doubt anybody is getting "smarter," whatever you mean by that. But the kids I teach day in and day out are certainly not getting dumber. Yes, they have access to much more information than we did. But information won't help if you don't know what to do with it. And, as you know, I wasn't talking about being able to quantify anybody getting smarter, but about the performance of today's engineering students compared to, say, the Babyboomers. :rolleyes:

AG5DB likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think people are getting dumber. It's just that back in the day we didn't get to hear dumb people's opinions day after day on Facebook and Internet forums... :p

AG5DB, VK6APZ, KJ4VTH and 2 others like this.
  3. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On top of that, we definitely measure how students perform from year to year in the aggregate. It's one of the requirements for accreditation!

And that's the small potatoes stuff. There's massive piles of data-driven research in engineering education.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very likely the explanation for the perception. What is fact, not perception, is that some of them are reaching 'civic' levels unimaginable just a few years ago, and there are long term negative consequences for this.

Again, better stop here.:D:D:D:D

5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^ This. Dumb people did not have a platform pre internet to sprout garbage as is if their straw men are true. Opinions are like butts, we all have one and all of them are full of crap.

6. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you missed my point, or perhaps I did not explain myself well enough. I was thinking that hands on with a real working modern transceiver could also be tied to fundamental physics, EE, and other engineering concepts. Learning how to use IF filtering and DSP would provide a concrete and real world example of what they are and serve as a basis to touch upon some of the theoretical concepts behind them, as one example. "Hello, boyz n gurlz, can you say Fourier Transform?"

Most modern rigs utilize the old superheterodyne principal, this could be tied to the engineering basics of radio communication architecture and technology.

There are numerous directions such a course could take, and how far to take it is variable as well. But I have always found a real world example that ties theory to practice to be quite useful. This was what I was thinking, though perhaps I failed at expressing the thought. My bad.

AG6QR and KC1NY like this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I believe I could have written very similar words and thoughts about 35-45 years ago. I didn't. I guess I didn't think the world was moving as fast as it is.

I spent a little bit of time in various technology schools from the the mid-60s into the early 1970s. To this day, I still enjoy being involved with a few classes a few times every year. I enjoy attending workshops/seminars whenever I can. My bride of over 45 years tolerates going to such events with me.

In my lifetime, a number of theories have been refined. What we thought of as "laws" have had to be tweaked small amounts. Modern technology has really taken advantage of this pretty solid foundation -- at least for some.

In 1969s and 1970 I began to realize just how technology was changing around me. At the time, I was exceedingly fortunate to enjoy spending time and enjoying tutoring from a number of the historic giants of Silicon Valley and elsewhere.

I was extremely fortunate to continue on much the same scientific/research path when I was discharged from the US Navy (honorably).

After joining industry from a solid college and Navy technical training background, I got to learn far more about technology than I could have every imagined was happening outside of my small world.

The world of technology was really moving fast in the 1950s and 1960s.. I believe it is moving even far faster today. I don't know how we get our younger generations onto/into this fast moving and ever growing flooding river of change.

If you were trained as an electrical engineer regarding communications, think about what we learned from Mr. Nyquist about data transfer in narrowband transmission lines in the late 1960s; Just 25 years ago, who would have ever thought we could push from 300/1200 baud modems to megabits/megabytes of data over these same basic two-wire low impedance lines.

Think about what we are doing today with $20 Software Defined Radios (SDRs). Not many buttons or rotary controls.

Old Curmudgeon Ken
    W4KJG

AG6QR likes this.
  8. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps that could be introduced as a hands-on example in an existing course, but I don't see how you could make an entire course out of it.

You could easily make a full-semester course about designing a modern radio transceiver. That would be a pretty sweet class, actually. But simply using a transceiver is nowhere near the level of technical sophistication necessary for a college-level course in ECE.

Likewise, you can have a mechanical engineering course about automotive engineering, but not a course about how to drive a car, even if you could tie it to some physics.

9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This and I prefer to study the other gender frequently, without a manual of course.

Well maybe not as frequently as I used to, but i still like it.

10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

... geez, a manual would have been great! Unfortunately that would mena a manual for each one.