A college course about a ham rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the last 20 years, Nifty Accessories has provided quick reference guides and mini-manual guides for the majority of the amateur radio transceivers, HT's, some receivers, test equipment, etc. While they don't cover everything a 100 to 200 page manual covers, all the basic, and some not so basic features and functions, are documented. And, you don't have to take a "college course" to figure out how to get the best use out of the equipment you purchase. You can do it in real time in generally under 30 pages of information and easily refer back to it if needed.

K3XR likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhh...and what is required by the industry? They want the best 'robots', and they want them for free. For years now some of these so called 'captains of industry' have been 'guiding' universities. It appears they don't know themselves what they need, how to do it, never mind paying for it. They want experienced people, but won't give anybody any experience. It simply does not compute, except with the use of their so called 'accounting principles'.

Please, this is not a criticism of what you posted, nothing personal. This is a topic, the so called 'needs of industry', that really upsets me everytime it comes up.

AG5DB and VK4HAT like this.
  3. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's what I think about that: the CS department where I went to college was founded by a guy who visited local industry, and asked them what they needed and what college graduates were lacking.

He found out that businesses really needed someone who could maintain their legacy hardware and their COBOL programs.

College graduates were learning the latest CS skills, along with advanced mathematics and other heavy topics, but that wasn't "up to par" with industry. In fact, "down to par" would be a better way to put it: the curriculum wasn't obsolete enough!

We ended up with a CS program that was very mainframe-heavy, and very assembly-language heavy. The assembly language part made it a very good education---try writing a mainframe operating system entirely in assembly language---but the specific skill set was pretty dated, to meet the needs of employers. Luckily I took the theoretical track that included C and Unix.

AG5DB and AG6QR like this.
  4. K2CAJ

This is New York state. Frisbee would give the kids more exercise, if "exercise" is a code word for ticks.

5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of that has to do with unreal expectations from employers. Take a look in the job wanted ads for entry level jobs. They want someone on junior wages with 100 years experience and a 3 PHDs. Even a partime burger flipper at McDonalds they want a 16 year old with 3 years experience.

Employers used to train people into jobs because jobs were secure and people worked for the company for a long time. Now jobs are insecure and no employer wants to invest in staff because they are not going to be working there in 3 years time. Instead employees have become yet another commodity to be traded.

The expectations placed on Uni's and on entry level employees by employers is unfair to say the least. Kids today navigate this nightmare and do well, i doubt my generation or that of my parents generation would survive. My father worked his whole life for Ampol/Caltex, my daughters who work in insurance, finance and nursing have all had multiple employers in the same time my father was enjoying his first long service leave.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    AG5DB and N2EY like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great point Pete. You would think that after spending a few thousand on a new rig the manufacturers could provide you with a similar quick reference manual in addition to the full manual.

7. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Male bovine excrement. Quantifiable in what sense? What units are employed to determine this? What methodology is employed to determine this? What are the credentials of the ones who allegedly measure this? It is perception, pure and simple. Do you honestly think our society or the human race is getting smarter? What if, in fact, you are getting dumber (I'm not saying you are, of course)? This is NOT quantifiable in any way that I can see.

As for fatter, that one IS quantifiable. Just get a bathroom scale and have at it. :p

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My original post was intended as a kind of "what if" proposition. Every university provides lab facilities for its students. I dare say chemistry majors do not have to provide their own test tubes or spectroscopes, and CS majors never have to supply their own mainframes. :rolleyes: Only thing I ever had to buy were books.

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is something that I have been thinking about for some time. There appears to be some truth to it. It has already spread outside of traditional 'dumb circles'.

I'll stop here, as it will inevitably become political.;)

10. K2CAJ

Back to the original topic, I'd have to say that "How to use an IC-7300" wouldn't come close to being a one-semester college course.

A typical one-semester college course (3 credits) is about 45-48 contact hours of teaching. Do you really need 3 hours a week for 16 weeks to explain how to use a radio?

On top of that, the subject matter is not very technical. For example, college students take courses in how to program computers. We don't really offer courses in how to use computers. There are some trade school courses in how to use Excel and Word, but that isn't so much a thing at the level of a 4-year college.

I imagine you could have a local radio club offer a short course in such a thing, which is where it would belong. I would take a course like that, because I'm certainly not using half the features on my transceiver---or using them correctly.

Actually, for rig-specific stuff it might make more sense for a manufacturer to make a video short course. For example you could have a video about what RIT is and how to use it, and then have an addendum video for using RIT on the IC7100.

N2EY likes this.