A college course about a ham rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I got to thinking the other day that almost all modern mid to high end AR rigs could constitute the basis of a quarter or semester college course. Most of them have manuals in the 100-200 page range and enough features/options/capabilities to keep one studying and scratching one's head for a semester. Possible areas of study could include:

• Controls and their function
    • Fine points of rig subsystems (IF DSP, Keyer, ATU, processor, etc.)
    • Interfacing to other systems (amp, computer, pan adapter, etc.)
    • Antennas, antennas, antennas
    • Operational techniques.

Such a course would certainly be more interesting and useful than, say, a course in gender studies. OTOH, it would likely be a niche oriented affair. And on the third hand, it might be enticing to those studying science and engineering.

W9RAC likes this.
  2. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

real men throw away the manual and figure it out for themselves

KE5OFJ, W2REA, VK6APZ and 6 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"It would be more interesting for me." There, fixed it for ya. ;)

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Or just restore a Heathkit HW-16 and get on the air :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WE4B, K7MH and KK4NSF like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a course many moons ago, at UCLA I think. The book used was The Electronics of Radio, by David Rutledge.

It was based on the Norcal 40 kit. Yes, not SDR, but still good for those analog types.;)

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya & you can major if frisbee [ and a bunch of other junk ] also , doesn't make it right ?

On the other hand , reality is that what some number generations are learning / or not learning , is boarding on just plain nuts ?

Oh and updated my Macbook last night , and it took 2 hrs. to be able to get into all my regular site - this one was the worst , so far ;(

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people say that. Mostly people who haven't visited their university and talked to the students and instructors there in a long, long time. Do that, don't rely on what you read on some freaking web site.

AG5DB, K6CLS, K7MH and 2 others like this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

RTFM:mad::confused:? REAL hams don't need no stinkin' manual!:p:rolleyes:

With THAT said, our club station installed a 7300 while I was on medical leave. The only real "elmering" I had was how to change bands.:( I was able to figure everything else out myself, even if by "trial and error," as the radio was often left "inoperable" when I came in the next day. (Since they left no log entries, I presume they didn't know how to correct their mistakes, either.) It IS a complex radio, and can do a lot of things, and I suspect the manual my well need to be consulted at times.

9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I get 99% of my medical at the U of M , and talk to lots of my friends kids about whats going on .
    My " hearsay " is coming from a lot of professors .
    There are kinda 2 sides , those that are too busy with real school / learning and the other side - I will not bother going there in this venue .

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've applied to UCLA as a course adviser to teach hams and prospective hams about this one.
    upload_2019-11-7_9-11-22.jpeg

KA2CZU likes this.