ad: k1jek

A Bright Region Fizzles & A Dark Hole Looms: Solar Storm Forecast 04-05-2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4SOL

K4SOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done! Very detailed yet uncomplicated. Now if she can just conjure up some sunspots!

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just remember this is a SOLAR STORM forecast---not a propagation forecast.

This is basically useless as a predictor of HF propagation(what little there is of it). If you understand that and enjoy it, well, knock yourself out:)

Just look at the propagation box on the home page of QRZed if you want to get a sense of what band are open. IF and WHEN they open.

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

N9TES likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Long live 80m. ;)

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

QST FEB 2017 SOLAR MINIMUM.jpg
    ===== dreaded mauner minimum.jpg
    =========== keep smiling its just a hobby.jpg

NA1S likes this.
  6. ZL1UPS

ZL1UPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put up a Hentenna on 40m, lots of noise not too much in the way of audible signals, I guess this is why, just have to wait for conditions to improve.
    Great report on what is happening.

7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Put up a 20M dipole last week to replace a long gone worthless Cushcraft mini vert. Now I am working some DX on 20 with it. Nothing amazing, but fun. Better than 40M right now. Not planning on DXCC or anything just see what it can do with 100W. Probably could do better with exotic modes.

8. N2AZN

N2AZN Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite bands 40, and 20, have been almost totally FLAT the last month that I have been actively back on HF....now I know why....75 in my area has been marginal at best in the evening....I think these reports are extremely helpful, especially to new General Class operators who are sitting by their new HF rigs wondering, "Why can't I hear anyone....". I appreciate the way these reports are brought to us, and Tamitha does a superb job explaining it....

9. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is interesting that we see all this whining about being in the minimum. So what? "Oh, my, my , my, HF isn't working!" Sure it is. It just isn't working on the frequencies you have been dealing with for the last few years. Go lower and stop whining. I've been working 40m QRP into Serbia, Spain, and all over the US east of the Rockies since last fall. I don't get it. HF ain't rocket science any more laddies. You work where the skip is working or you don't work at all. Now I suppose that means that some folks will have to get "innovative" with their antenna. Ok, well then, get innovative. That's my two, such as they are.

10. G4HBI

G4HBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Condx may be bad but this last weekend during the EA RTTY Contest using an old 12 AVQ and 70 wats I worked YV, PY2 N2NS/6 in CA a couple of W0's in KS a W7 in AZ and one in UT along with many East coast stations, no bad going. It makes me wonder, do contesters create their own propagation ?>
    Frank G4HBI Manchester UK

G3SEA likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they do!

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No one is whining. And I operate from 2200 meters to the superhighs.

It is purely factual to state that conditions are varying between miserable and horrible. Yes, even on MF.

Perhaps we should have a prop screen with three settings:

• MISERABLE
    • HORRIBLE
    • PUT RIG IN STORAGE

13. W4TJE

W4TJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at a magnetogram image of the Sun today (10 April), there's a tiny yellow-leading-green minispot deep down in the Sun's southern hemisphere. Would this be a reverse polarity spot, ie cycle 25 spot?
    I'm asking, not saying, as I don't know.

14. NA1S

NA1S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regardless of the conditions I plan on operating regularly and work what ever contacts I can. I have a simple shack, a dipole and a decent location that seems to work well (much better that my last QTH). No problem working Europe on 40 & 20 in the EA RTTY contest over the weekend. Had many contacts in the last SSB DX contest on 80-15m as well. I will take what I can for contacts and be happy I am back on the air after a long period of no radio. Also, going to use those days when conditions are bad to brush up my CW which is really rusty.
    Have fun!

W1YW likes this.
  15. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't take it personal. Don't speak for everyone. Just chill and operate. My observation and experience just don't agree with yours. "Miserable and Horrible" -- Is that quantifiable? Have a great day.