ad: Hamcrazy-1

A BIT OF MY CHILDHOOD

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA0USE, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

1958 we came back from formosa without any household goods. left everything behind. we were a sears and roebuck family (revolving credit, easy terms).
    we got a b/w sears silvertone console tv and when connected to the rabbit ears and turned on- there was nothing. just hash on the screen and a hiss from the speaker. dad fiddled with it a long time, cussing.
    now, you'd think him having gone through the signal school at fort monmouth, having to build radios, diagnose problems and service them that he'd have some idea as to what the problem might be. to his credit (or debit) he didn't have any diagnostic tools- no voltmeter, no tube tester, no continuity checker, nothing.
    well, he was not a happy camper. called a radio/tv serviceman to come fix it. i thought he was the coolest thing- and he was. he was probably more important than the mayor. he was our contact to the rest of the world. he fusses with it for a while, running tests. finally he says there's nothing wrong with it (an honest man).
    my folks looked at him like he'd grown a third eye.
    'then why don't we get a picture?'
    'oh. well, we don't get tv out here. we're out of range'.
    so there it sat, gathering dust for two years until we transferred to a more populated area.

K2XT, AC0TX, AE1P and 7 others like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't have much excuse growing up in Silly Cone Valley.
    Actually, if you waited long enough you might have gotten some mainland TV via Sporadic E. :)

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was raised on top of a mountain on the coast of CA. Rode my horse to school (with my dog) which consisted of 1 room for all 8 grades. It later expanded to 4 rooms, 2 grades in each class w/ 1 teacher per room. The 5th & 6th grade teacher was also the principal, janitor / maintenance guy, & bus driver. The school is still in use!
    In the hills overlooking Silicon Valley believe it or not.

4. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

Im surprised he didnt sell your dad a 50' tower and a long TV antenna with rotator and preamp:rolleyes:

Carl

N5DMC and AF6LJ like this.
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That would have been the way its done in Oregon.
    I worked for a friend of the family fixing consumer electronics and chicken band radios.
    We were talking about TV reception one day and Bill said "we watch KPIX in Portland every day".
    I'm like WOW that is over 220 miles away... He took me inside and his wife was watching some soap opera on KPIX
    No snow... I was impressed. He had two mono channel yagis and a log periodic on a mast on a 30' tower.
    All that to watch TV in the early 70s...

KF4SCI and KM1H like this.
  6. AF6LJ

More to my childhood...
    My earliest memories of TV were at my grandparents house, sitting in front of the TV watching Tuesday night boxing on KTLA with my grandfather, he was babysitting while my mother and grandmother were out...

They had what was typical for a TV set up in the aria they lived in. 40' mast on the house with a large log periodic, they added a preamp. The only channel they couldn't reliably get was channel 3 in Santa Barbra.

7. KF4SCI

Did you get that right? KPIX was in San Francisco, CA if I remember correctly. Watched it as channel 5 as a kid.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. KF4SCI

And then Gilligan's Island came on & you turned off the TV.

9. KF4SCI

I remember some Vietnamese words / phrases from my time in the service... "Lao si sho" pronounced "Lousy Show" translated to Gilligan's Island. ;)

10. AF6LJ

Maybe not....
    I don't remember for sure..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.