A better alternative to the so-called Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UM, Nov 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Trouble is $150K will barely qualify someone for that $850k home previously mentioned. And working for Elon they might not have free time to play radio.

2. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but don't they have to work 168 hour weeks?

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be worse.

I once worked at a place where I figured out how to automate my work so that I produced several hundred percent more work output than anybody else on my team, and in a fraction of the time.

When my boss found out, he was unhappy because I had so much free time on my hands.

There's just no pleasing some people.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We know where you stand and you are welcome to your opinion.
    However, you neatly excised the reasons I gave for HOAs needing to be reeled in a bit thus making it look like antennas are my only issue. There is a movement in Colorado rallying residents of HOA communities demanding a number of HOA reforms. One of those reforms is for more transparent decision making and fee structures for property managers. This group was also responsible for pushing licensing of property managers which includes background checks. The state of Colorado passed the licensing requirement which resulted in a number of "property management" firms to find other livelihoods. For those firms it can only be said "It was a good gig while it lasted".

WU8Y likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, finally, a proper approach to the HOA problem. :cool:

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My only issue is that the legislation falsely purports a NEED for hams to have outdoor antennas. Any other NEED for HOAs to be "reeled in" is another kettle of fish.

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

What a silly argument.

It's obviously apparent that it's kind of hard to reach anyone in Puerto Rico using a 2' tall miracle whip antenna inside the house.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    WU8Y likes this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Except, ARRL and others tout HR as being needed by the public. Yet, there has been ZERO evidence/testimony provided showing an increased public need. In fact, the latest revelation comes from ARRL ARES PIO Mike Urich KA5CVH, saying there has been LESS public need (link). He says so at 7:30.
    "You"??? o_O

I don't consider myself a gate keeper...any more-so than you (no quote marks intended to insult).

9. KC8VWM

I don't care about Mike Urich. He doesn't speak on behalf of everyone in amateur radio anymore than you do. I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I wonder if the ARRL also holds this same position on the matter in light of the recent hurricanes in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico? Shall I ask them if amateur radio didn't matter in these disasters, or are you going to ask them yourself?

"Evidence/ Testimony" ...LOL

Shall I start playing the intro theme to Perry Mason here or something your honor?

Good grief.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    WU8Y likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

You're entire argument about "NEED" is seriously flawed.

If you want to see what "NEED" looks like exactly, just wait until a Tornado or Hurricane wipes out your entire neighborhood and that might be the more appropriate point in time to start questioning whether or not, there's suddenly any "NEED" okay?

This ongoing rhetoric only further confirms you have absolutely no hands on experience in any kind of disaster situation, nor do you understand what it's like to be directly involved in one yourself.

Must be nice to be an armchair critic of what you don't comprehend or understand.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:34 AM