ad: elecraft

A better alternative to the so-called Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4UM, Nov 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Good evening Ladies and Gentleman of like minded interest. :)

I realize that isn't gender neutral so are we still allowed to say that? :p

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on the polarity. :)

Edit to reflect your edit.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm not sure I can. There are a lot of variables, and I'm not sure I know them all.

Part of the issue is that Stillwater has one main industry -- OSU. Back in 2010, there were other industries here, but they have all been shrinking, closing, or moving. There was an attempt to leverage the university to increase the amount of industry here, but that appears to have fizzled. The issues behind that are manifold and complex. I moved here during the push to industrialize, and I am also a multiple-time "victim" of the decline.

A lot of housing that has been in family hands for years or decades is converting slowly to rental property. The university adds housing of their own, but it comes in bursts, and it's not predictable. The housing for grad students and vet students tends to be in town, not on campus, since grad students don't want to live in dorms, no matter how nice they are. :) There are plenty of private slum lords who are also busy building apartment accommodations, but that's sort of dorm-like, even though it's private, so it appeals to certain people, but not others.

Then there's the fact that distances continue to shrink, so Stillwater is also a somewhat distant suburb of OKC. There are a lot of people who commute to OKC, and a few that commute to Dallas via AA flights. And that adds more dynamics to the housing market. I'm amazed how many people will commute from Stillwater to OKC, but OKC doesn't have a lot of desirable suburbs, and those that are tolerable to most people are very expensive. So rather than live near OKC, some people choose to commute significant distances. I have heard people say that it's good to have the commute because it helps them "decompress" rather than bringing their work stress home to the family. Compared to an LAX commute, Stillwater to OKC is fairly short, and some of the most busy business development in OKC is along the Kilpatrick corridor, which is near the north end of town, minimizing the commute distance, time, and stress for people coming from Stillwater.

A few years back, there was a lot of money poured into OSU sports. Prior to that, they were considered to be a second-string athletics school, but they are trying very hard (and spending lots of cash) to become a main sports attraction. That changes the dynamics of a university in complex ways, as well. And it changes the priorities of the people who work there, the people who choose to go to school there, and the kinds of other businesses that orbit the university in the larger town.

And those thoughts are just the surface of what is going on here.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you ever wondered what the polarity of a short circuit is ?

I'm sorry, i'm just feeling a little philosophical today. :p

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Monopole?

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that was a great explanation, and from someone who's actually there.

Here in L.A., it's almost the opposite in some ways: Industry (mostly "light" industry, we hardly have any "heavy" industry in a long time) has been "movin' on out" and fly into LAX at night and you'll see the effect -- the very dense lights below start 70-80 miles outside the city in all directions, so the "metro area" is now rather enormous, probably 6000-8000 square miles of "metro area."

And it really goes beyond that.

A lot of the aerospace industry that used to be in Burbank (due to Lockheed, mostly) is now all over the place, including up in the Mojave Desert, 100 miles outside of town. The old, huge Lockheed properties (which actually include Burbank Airport, since Lockheed built that before any of us were born) are now mostly film studios, although one significant building is now Fry's Electronics, a retail store.

We used to have PCB (circuit board) manufacturers all around here but they've mostly moved way outside the city, 50-100 miles away. They still exist, they're just not in the city anymore and they employ a lot of people.

I moved here in '88 and the L.A. county population was about 8 million, now it's more than 10 million and if you're unemployed around here, that means you're not looking at all. Everyplace is hiring and the local "want ads" on line list 400,000 job openings.

The result is we have a huge housing shortage, with tens of thousands of qualified people looking to buy homes they just can't find, so there are waiting lists. When the house across the street from me was up for sale about a year ago, the realtor held a driveway auction and the house sold for way above its "listed" price...but this was partly due to the "recovery" from the terrible R/E "crash" of 2008-2009, so property values were still rebounding.

I like Oklahoma. Had a girlfriend there in Broken Arrow (Tulsa) who was a huge OSU fan. First time I ever saw a tornado (sort of, it was far away but we could kinda see it) was there, and it was rolling in from the west, around OKC. It never quite made it to Tulsa, but I was very impressed by the "warning" system. I was staying at the Crown Plaza in Tulsa on a high floor and suddenly there were sirens...followed by the TV alerting everyone about a tornado warning, and to please vacate rooms and go to the basement (which was fun, since the basement had a swimming pool), stay away from windows, and all that jazz. It was cool! But I guess I'm glad it didn't really hit.:)

7. KK5JY

When my situation changes to allow the search, I'm hoping to find such a place. Hopefully not as far as southern CA. ;) I am told that OKC still has such opportunities, so maybe I'll drift in that direction.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what your field may be, but if you're into aerospace, computers, electronic design, guidance and control systems, launch systems, etc. there are >10K openings near the airport in Hawthorne, El Segundo, and surrounding areas.

They pay well. I know two friends who went to work for Space-X (Elon Musk company) and were offered starting positions at about $150K.

N2EY likes this.
  9. KK5JY

Pretty much all of those except for launch systems. And I wouldn't mind a bit adding "launch systems" to the CV. ;)

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Just... WOW. However, I'm still having trouble seeing any NEED (or requirement) of more outdoor ham antennas.

K1OIK likes this.